I have a severe setback from burnout does anyone recognize these symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have now been recovering from burnout for 16 months. The last 5 months have been going very well for me. I could do all kinds of things without experiencing any symptoms.

But I did (too) much. Thought I could handle the world reasonably well again. Until a few weeks ago I noticed some worrying again. After 1 to 2 days of rest, this disappeared immediately and I continued until a week later I noticed again worrying. This also passed within 2 days of rest and this time I continued happily (and at full speed). After all, it went better for me. Boy was I wrong!

A week later the worrying got worse and it didn't go away with 2 days of rest. For two weeks now I have had a severe setback with worrying, feeling of pressure in my head, fatigue (including the first symtoms).

Still, this time feels different than at the very beginning. Sometimes I worry for almost a day, but usually no longer non-stop like in the first month, sometimes it is now limited to half a day, sometimes an hour and sometimes not even a day at all to come back the next day. And my body also feels a lot stronger than at the beginning.

You will think this is progress, but on the other hand it scares me that although the symptoms are the same, the pattern is slightly different than before. And that's what I'm worrying about again: is this really the burnout? Don't I have something else?

I know that it is all part of it, but I think I am looking for some reassurance. Does anyone recognize this? Is this normal for a rebound in a later phase of recovery?

Ps: sorry for any spelling mistakes I am not from England.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

hi mchaela, i think you are slowly getting stronger. you are fighting really hard are not being beaten! keep fighting,you will win!

• Posted

Hi Michaela....I'm the same, have been recovering from a bad bout of depression, very up and down for months, seemed to stabilise on meds but suddenly became exhausted for no reason and over night crashed big time, been 2 weeks now, nothings changed, just crashed again. waiting for another upturn, just dont understand any of it????

• Edited

hi suesan, i feel for you! you're trying your best and you can't do any more! do you take any medication for your depression? i believe some people on here take them. you could try yoga, mindfulness, pilates, walking and drink and chocolate lol for the last two. if you can do anything to improve how you feel including speaking to people or hobbies that might help!

• Edited

hi Sam, Ive done everything, CBT, exercise, I have hobbies etc and watch my diet. I take sertraline 100mg and quetiapine 50mg after trying several others that made me really ill, I'm under psychiatric care too. I can go weeks absolutely fine and happy, then just crash for no reason, not just for a day or two but weeks, an awful rollercoaster.

• Posted

hi suesan, poor you! you could do with a hug and some understanding! bless you. xx try chocolate or drink and this time no lol!

• Posted

Fully recovering isn't easy. You're bound to fall back into old habits, but you just need to keep pushing forward in your recovery and it'll inevitably dissipate. I often fall back into bad habits and negative thought patterns, but then I eventually break free. These are most likely temporary set backs you're experiencing. Just remember that these periods of worry are temporary.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I got up worrying again although yesterday I had a good day. I really needed to hear this. Thank you so much!

I really hope we will al recover and beat whatever we are dealing with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.