I have a slipped disc (l1) For over a year please help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi , I have had a slipped disc for over a year now. When i first done it , It was the most painfull injury i have ever experienced. I was getting pain in my left leg 24/7 And pain on the left side of my lower back also my ankles and feet. Now a year on after MRI Scans , Epidurals , Physio , Chiropractors. Allot of the pain has gone. However I still have pain when im sitting down on a sofa and lift my left leg up and point my toes. I have seen a Specialst and he was adamant they i dont need surgery. But i think overwise. So could someone please reply. Im sure slipped discs dont take this long to heal do they? 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All,  I was surprised but in a way, encouraged to read these posts.  I have a LARGE herniation at L5.  It is difficult to walk and I have a lot of foot pain.  I have had 3 different PT (locations), and 2 transforminal injections.  It has been over a year, and nothing has really helped.  I guess I didn't realize that it may take this long for it to heal, and others have had it for so long.  Most people think I'm crazy for not getting the surgery, but it sounded pretty complicated, rods, etc. and I am reading that it should be avoided.  I had the test - there is no nerve damage.  Just wondering how long I should wait or if there is any hope.
  • Posted

PS I should add that the only relief I have gotten was a $9.00 book off of the Internet - Heal Your Own Back.  LIke Natalie says - the prone pullups.  There is some relief now for short periods of time.
    • Posted

Sorry for the late repy. But thanks for this smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.