I have a stone in my bladder, what do I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So many post have recounted some bad experiences with the rigid cystoscopy procedure.

I have a stone in my bladder and I might not have a choice about having a cystoscopy to remove the stone.

I would really appreciate learning about experiences with alternatives to a rigid cystoscopy. So far, I only know of ESWL (sound wave therapy) and PCCL (percutaneous cystolitholapaxy).

I am in New York and seeing a urologist at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital who is well respected but who has told me that he would use a laser to break up and remove the stone through rigid cystoscopy. I would like also to know of your good experiences with other urologists in New York City who provide alternative non-invasive therapies.

Thank you so much in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hey Don

Is that all he said he will do is remove the stone. They use a laser so they can blast the stone and it can come out with the urine. They use the laser because the laser is better to get rid of it and does not injure adjacent tissue.

Make sure if you have it that is all you sign for. Most of the doctor want to do Turp procedures because it makes it easier to get the stone out. You do not have to have a Turp to remove the stone

Take care and be safe....Ken

• Posted

I have had a successful PAE done by an interventional radiologist recommended by this same doctor, so he will definitely not do a TURP.

I was just concerned by all the negative experiences with the rigid cystoscopy.

• Edited

I have had both. To me there fine. I have a stricture and have a flexible all the time. The rigid you will be out so it should be fine

Glad you had a good PAE. Take care....Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.