I have a Trimalleolar fracture and need surgery which I am terrified of the pain after surgery?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I sustain the trimalleolar fracture in July 25th and had to visit ER twice to realign my ankle. I fell down the stairs. I recently saw the ortho and surgery is recommended due to the instability of the fracture. I am in a splint now which I am tired of lugging around. My surgery is schedule for 08/15/18. My first surgery and I need pins and plate and I am freaking out about the surgery and the pain after!! Help me with any words of advice is appreciated! Thanks in pain here.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh, I understand completely.  I was terrified of surgery but I knew I would be crippled if I didn’t do it.  You have no choice and anesthesia is very safe these days.  I agree with everyone about pain management. Don’t be a hero, take what they give you, if it doesn’t work well ask for something different.

Be patient!

When you get home have help, and realize everything you do will take longer.  Build a recovery nest- in bed or on couch, have needed remote, meds, snacks, drinks, phone, charger, laptop, books, etc.....

Expect your good leg to go on strike, as well as other muscles you are not used to using (arms, shoulders, and back). Walker is good for close quarters, knee scooter is great for longer treks.

I took vitamin D, and aspirin, ask doctor if he/she recommends any supplements or anti clotting meds

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks I have yet to get a call for my surgery time and I am on pins and needles about it. I can't get relaxed to get sleep and my foot is in the splint hurts as well. Did you have nerve pain with your surgery?

• Posted

Yes, I think that’s the burning, it lasts at least 4-6 weeks. And I hear soft tissue and nerve take longer to heal than bone. 

I used you tube guided meditation to fall asleep some nights.  Others my hubby would rub my back till asleep.  You deserve to be taken care of you are injured!  My mom even came up to care for me.  I was very fortunate but then again, I broke both ankles!

• Posted

You are lucky to have that kind of support. I know for sure I will have someone with me like for the first week if I have surgery done this week and than I maybe on my own again. I hope to get some rest soon but my anxiety is driving me crazy due to surgery.
    • Posted

Yeah. I had the burning sensation 4 at least 4 weeks. Some days better than others and I was told the same thing about nerves take a long time to heal. I am on Lyrica for nerve pain and it seems to help.
    • Posted

Dear Adzaa.

To be honest, the surgery was the easiest part for me . I was terrified too, never been to hospital before , never experienced so much pain before ,etc.

You really will not remember anything, even when surgery is over, you will be on pain meds. Nurse will be with you,watching for any sign of discomfort. Then the following 3-4 days will be probably the hardest for you, but again pain meds will help you. Elevate your ankle and ice it, everyday for weeks or even months.

Try to rest and sleep as much as you can, you body will start healling. Also try to eat healthy, take your vitamins.

I don't know where you are, but I'm sending good luck wishes to you. It is the most difficult and painful time in my life, but I'm managing it. You will too....

( I'm in San Francisco, USA).

• Posted

Thanks I am in Albuquerque NM. Just trying to remain calm and take deep breaths.
    • Posted

Went to Manzano high school.  Love Sandia Peak.  Good luck!
  • Posted

I feel your pain.  I am 3 years out and still have 18 pins and an 8 1/2 inch plate.  Pain wasn’t fun but listen to your docs and you will do great.  wishing you a speedy recovery.   
    • Posted

Misty give us some good news, how did you feel 3 months out, six months, one year later? I’m only 8 Weeks post op and still hurt and feel like a baby giraffe trying to walk.  Tell us when it gets better!!!!!!
    • Posted

I was very lucky I got only one plate and 2 screws that I was told about. Its day 2 pre-op.
  • Posted

Hey what’s the news? Have you had your surgery yet??? How are you feeling?
    • Posted

It went will the procedure it self took less than an hour and I believe I got 2 screws and one plate. I was not able to talk to the surgeon. I am taking pain meds with baby aspirin. Right now just resting and elevating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.