I have a very good diet, not smoker, not obese , a little sedentary and my cholesterol is in 330

Posted , 5 users are following.

The doctor indicate me Rosuvastatine 20mg at night , i feel in panic for the side effects of statins , someone have experience about?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Romencia,

Have you and your doctor talked about other options such as diet and exercise?

• Posted

Hi John,

Thank you for your comment, the doctor did not give me any other option , only the Rosuvastatin Calcium 20 mg a day, he states that my condition is a familiar lipid disorder which is hereditary so i have to take medication, i started 2 days ago and i do not feel any discomfort but i could not sleep well during these 2 nights (it is scary),. I am continuing with my special diet but i feel in panic about take this kind of medications, I would like to know if the sleep disorders are transitory or if i will be without sleeping the time of the treatment.

• Posted

I would  ask your Doctor if through diet and exercise could lower your cholesterol, and tell him of your fears of taking statins,  by doing this should you have to take one how long would you most six months to a year, watch out for the side effects if you start having any call him they can change you to another one, my husband went through the same thing, he took for six months then had to be switched and off them in a year. best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Thank you Sheila,

I started with the treatment with Rosuvastatina 2 night ago, until now i do not feel nothing important except sleeping problems, it is scary!!!! i have to way some days because i have been very anxious about all of this and could be the cause of the insomnia , who knows!!!

Thank you so much for your advise.

• Posted

Hello Romenica

What are your other numers such as HDL, LDL Calculated, and Triglycerides and what kind of health are you in.?   What is your age and are you carrying a good weight?  Do you exercise daily?

My wife has a total cholesterol of 220 and an LDL  of 110 with an HDL of 65.   She recently had a calcium scan and her score was zero. Even though her total is a little high along with her LDL, her HDL keep her artries clean. 

I would have some further discussions with my doctor if I were you. Also do your own research on statins as I have. There are plenty of doctors and scientists who have written about statins.  

• Posted

With a cholesterol level that high, your Doctor made the right decision to get you on the Rosuvastatin. I would likely believe this to be a genetic problem (Hetrozygal Familial Hypercholesteremia) or FH for short.  You should stick with this medicine as best you can.  If for some reason you cannot tolerate it, your Doctor will probably make another attempt at a different statin.  If you still cannot tolerate a different statin you may be a candidate for a new injectible drug called Repatha.  Repatha is giving incredible results in cholesterol reduction but it is reserved for those who have abnormally high cholesterol...usually greater than 300.

My cholesterol was at one time 505.  I now enjoy a cholesterol level between 125 and 150.  But I am now a Vegan; I exercise regularly; and I take both a statin and the Repatha for a 72% reduction in my cholesterol. Please continue to work with your doctor because there has never been a better time to dramatically reduce cholesterol than now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.