I have abstained from drinking for one week now, and have decided to try Selincro.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a heavy drinker but I do not want to give up drinking completely.  I have been seeing an addictologist who prescribed me Selincro.  After my last appointment I decided to take week of abstinence (my choice). I used Xanax for the first three days, and tapered off completely the fifth day.  It is now day seven and I was thinking of starting the Selincro tomorrow.  Does anyone know if there are dangers in taking Selincro after a week of abstinence with Xanax? (my consultant is on holiday so I hope someone can give me some advice).

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Selincro will do nothing unless you drink with it. There are no dangers of taking it if you are not drinking, but it would be pointless. If you ARE going to be using it to keep your alcohol under control (drinking small amounts) do some reading about The Sinclair Method, including Roy Eskapa's book 'The Cure For Alcoholism.' It is also worth watching the video 'One Little Pill.' The Sinclair Method (which uses either Naltrexone or Nalmefene - the other name for Selincro) is the best treatment method available for alcohol addiction.

Good luck and keep us updated smile

• Posted

Thank you Paul.  I will definitely read up on the Sinclair Method, and keep you and the forum posted!
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline. I sounds tricky and I personally would aim for stopping gradually and then completely but we are all different I think. Paul always give good advice for certain. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your thoughts. In fact, the reason I abstained before starting with the Selincro was because I had already gone two days without a drink when my doctor suggested I try it. I figured by abstaining for one full week before starting, I would avoid the possibility of suffering withdrawals while on the Selincro. My dictor warned me that the Selincro side-effects could be very strong. In ant case, I have been taking it fir four days now and have experienced very little in the way of sude-effects. I have only had one to two drinks each day, but I don't know if it id due to my own willpower or the Selincro that i have been able to control my consumption. Nonetheless, the results are positive on all fronts so far. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

• Posted

As long as you are out of withdrawal...from alcohol....

If you take Xanax as a regular medication for anxiety....you can take both together. If you only took it for a short period for detox you shouldn't have any issues (withdrawals from Xanax).

This is what I read about the Selincro:

Take nalmefene tablets exactly as your doctor tells you to. Take one tablet a day on each day that you anticipate drinking alcohol. The tablet is best taken 1-2 hours before you drink alcohol, but if you are not able to do this, take it as soon as you can.Do not take more than one tablet per day.

• Posted

Additionally, the point of taking the drug is to reduce your intake of alcohol.   So you can drink alcohol and as you have stated...you have drank less when taking it...so it seems it is working for you smile
    • Posted

Thanks Missy, for the info and encouragement. I am now off the Xanax and taking the Selincro everyday.  My consumption is down but I do crave that first drink everyday.  I'm still not sure if the craving is decreased by the Selincro or if my determination is behind the decreased consumption.  Time will tell, I suppose.  In the meantime, I will keep taking it!
    • Posted

Jacqueline. If your consumption is not reducing as much as you would like, try leaving a two hour gap between taking the pill and having your first drink. Also, ensure that you do not drink after the period which the drug is active for. This is 8-11 hours. My experience with clients of mine has been that adjustments like this can make all the difference. If you have drinks slipping through while you are not protected by a pill, it can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
  • Posted

Now you are taking the Selincro, are you completing the online support tool?  There will be a login code with your medication.  I would recommend you do.

It is very useful and includes the keeping of a drink diary - this is excellent because it enables you to identify days when you might be craving more, or drinking more.  Once you have identified any points like this, then you can begin to make small changes to deal with them.  It's much easier to make small changes as you take Selincro than it is to try change years worth of behaviour, which may seem daunting and impossible.

Please also me mindful of drinking the first drink or two slowly.  Allow your brain to recognise that it isn't receiving the 'rush' from the alcohol.  This will also help you to recognise that drinking isn't doing what it used to do for you and so you should find you put the drink down earlier than usual.

I would think you are already benefitting from the medication, but it isn't a magic pill and your long term goal is to allow the medication to give you the breathing space to change your behaviours and make them more healthy (eg because you are not compulsively drinking whilst on the medication, it allows you to employ other coping strategies if you discover you tend to reach for the drink in a particular situation).  This especially applies to women as we go through so many hormone changes!

Please continue to let us know how you are progressing.... :-)

• Posted

Hi Joanna,

Thank you for your words of support; you are so right on all the points you made.  I must go slowly, and allow the pill to work its course.  I will be more mindful of when and where I get the cravings and try to adjust my behaviour accordingly.  I actually live in France so am not aware of a website, but I do have a little 'logbook' card that came with the perscription.  I also am seeing an addiction counselor (doctor) who is helping me work out the underlying issues of my alcoholic dependence.  Your words of advice add to the good support I'm receiving.  Thanks again.

• Posted

This all sounds good - you are doing exactly as you should to get the best success out of the medication so you probably don't need the website anyway.  Do a basic drink diary yourself if you haven't already, though.  There could be ups and downs for you over the coming months, so when things feel a bit tough, it is nice to glance at something and see your overall progress.

I am in the UK and provide the counselling for those on Selincro that your doctor is providing you with.

I also run a not-for-profit website that provides lots of additional information, hints and tips for getting the best out of the medication and my recovery using this method is on there too.  I used a slightly different medication because Selincro was not approved when I started, but it does the same thing and I used exactly the same process as you do with Selincro.

Google search C Three Europe and you will be able to see the site.

You can also contact me on there if you come across any issues or uncertainties as you are going along.

smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.