I have achalasia

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed after 2 years of starving and living on tea laced with sugar and cream. My weight was never an issue as I had weighed 134 pounds for most of my life. After starving for 2 years I was down to 85 lbs. I finally found a doctor in Toronto who didn't want to cut me open. He performed a pneumatiic dilatation on me. That procedure lasted for about 5 years. I had moved to Alberta in the middle of this time and when I started to starve again the doctors here told me it was all in my head and proceeded to put me through all the testing again. I finally found a doctor who knew what I was talking about and who performed another pneumatic dilatation. My problem is the weight gain and the horrible time I have with losing any weight whatsoever. The only time I am able to lose any weight seems to be once I completely cannot eat anymore. On the upside, this procedure leaves no scars and can be done as outpatient day surgery. I am horrified by my body now as it doesn't seem to matter what I eat after the procedure I just balloon up to 200 lbs overnight. I try to eat healthy all the time but seem to just keep gaining instead of losing any weight. I find drinking milk keeps the spasms at bay and if that doesn't work chocolate boost will appease them right away. Is there a strict diet that anyone knows of that can keep me healthy and help me get back to my original skinny self

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't know why the moderator has deleted three of my comments when I was only trying to be supportive and to get everyone back on the same page, but I don't appreciate it at all. If anyone would like to ask me something here or in private that would be nice. We don't need to argue between ourselves. This disease really takes a toll on everyone and at times people will be short fused. I noticed a comment from Carol to me that was also deleted. Carol you are welcome to pm me if it was that important.

Stay well everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.