I have an ovarian cyst , I am scared what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have an ovarian cyst... my period stop for about 5 months and them came back very heavy to the point where I was wearing diapers it lasted for about 3 weeks non stop bleeding.. went to the ER got an ultrasound and now I am going to get a biopsy to test for ovarian cancer. I am also getting the HPV vaccine. the cyst is about 2 cm. I am afraid to have cancer or to get sugery I am 26 ....I haven't told my mom I don't want her to be worry...can someone who has gone trough this give me advice...please and thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm 45 and was very fit and active, eating a largely raw vegan diet and then a couple of weeks ago had pain, went to hospital and they said that I had a 10cm dermoid cyst and may need to remove my ovary and tubes. I had surgery on Monday. They did a laparotomy. Waiting for 2-3 weeks to get biopsy result. Am afraid it's cancerous but as a rational person feel that I've been healthy and can't see how it can be cancer! My advice is to tell your mum because i'm now realising that it's good to have support. You might have keyhole surgery which is quicker recovery than laparotomy. Don't be afraid my love, it will be ok. I've read that many women get cysts. They're common and mostly benign. Be positive as stress affects your body. Have support around you, like friends or family, Jana xx
  • Posted

By the way, they didn't have to remove my ovaries or tubes. Be strong and you will get through this. There's lots of info on the internet and youtube. I like watching and listening to positive things as this helps me to keep my chin up and see things in perspective x
  • Posted

Hi, I have a large ovarian cyst and am scheduled for surgery next week. I've been reading up a lot and most ovarian cysts are not cancerous so please try not to worry and freak yourself out. Heavy bleeding especially after a period of no bleeding can be down to hormones, thyroid, endometriosis, stress etc. I find the problem with these Drs is they don't explain things well enough so your left to wonder but I'm sure it is nothing. Did they say what kind of cyst you had? There is a test they can do called ca125 but it isn't accurate as it can be high if you have ovarian cysts, endometriosis, are due on when you have the test etc so it can be counterproductive. Most pre menopausal women's cysts are not cancerous, they are more of a concern after the menopause but are often still benign.

You should tell your mum, even if you just tell her you have a cyst that needs removal as you need someone to be there and talk things through with. She possibly might have had ovarian cysts in her lifetime too. When I told my mum weeks after I knew about mine she told me she's had the op I'm going for and they are monitoring a cyst of hers at the moment, I didn't know that.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

• Posted

Don't panic pet, lots of us have cysts that never come to anything. I have a 4cm one that they are keeping an eye on. I don't want surgery if I can help it so I am happy just to have regular check-ups. My sister is the same. She had a cyst around 10cm. Since the menopause hit it has been getting slowly smaller on its own. I hope you don't have to wait that long!

I am more concerned about you getting the HPV vaccine. I have heard some very negative things about it and would not want any daughter of mine to have it. Do your research, then decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.