I have been anxious for weeks, appointment tomorrow.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I have an appointment tomorrow in the breast clinic and I am panicking that I have something sinister. Logically, I don't think I need to go into meltdown but I can't help worrying! I was diagnosed with a breast Lipoma (fatty lump)  5 years ago....it has slowly grown to 5cm. I feel perfectly fit and healthy and have no other symptoms at all. Surely I would be ill by now if it was.something awful?? I am 39. The appointment has been classed as non urgent and has taken 6 weeks.......please reassure me. Feel so anxious! X 

Julia 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Poor love I would have to be sedated to get me in the door, but as you say 6 weeks and none urgent, kinda speaks for its self doesn't it hun xx not sure what country you are in but I know in England for urgent cases, they have I think it is a 4 day rule that they must act open to see you if concerned, I know this as fact when my mother was admitted....I live in the US now and you could wait weeks here to get an appointment.

I will be thinking of you I have all my blood work back tomorow, so nervous as well, 2 worry warts together xx

Good luck sure you will come out smiling.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.....worry is a horrible feeling! I can't see, if it was sinister, how I would have had it for years without any other symptoms. Hope your results go well. I live in Wales so the usual urgent referral I think is 2 weeks. Plus, it has already been diagnosed......I could worry for Britain and the US, lol........
    • Posted

Back at you, I get so stressed I could vomit, and physically shake.

xx

• Posted

Worry should be banned!! Thanks for your support. Yep, I do nausea and like a nervous twitching thing....not good. X 
  • Posted

Hi Julia

You have my every sympathy about the anxiety, which can be terrible if you don't keep a firm hand on it! 

I had two breast cancers removed last year (I was 52), followed by radiotherapy, and I seem to be absolutely fine now, although I found another lump in the other breast two weeks ago, which was biopsied (fine needle biopsy- FNA) on Monday.  My surgeon thinks that it is benign, but I am waiting on the results.

I am not an expert, although I am a retired doctor, who used to work as an anaesthetist with breast surgeons and a reconstructive plastic surgeon, but I understand that lipomas are pretty common, and usually harmless, unless they cause pain which can happen during your period.  Lipomas are benign blobs of fat held within a thin membrane, tend to be smooth and globular, and can move around under the skin.

Breast cancer does occur in women of your age, but it quite unusual for it to do so ... and if there was any real concern that you had a malignancy, I am sure that you would have been seen within days, rather than weeks.  I don't know what part of the UK you live in (or even if you live in the UK), but in Dorset there is a wonderful breast clinic that aims to see women with potentially sinister breast lumps within a matter of days.

For further information and reassurance, it is worth contacting the people at:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/

They are a fantastic organisation, with loads of helpful information, and a help line during office hours.  The people manning the phone have all either had breast cancer, or a partner suffering from it.  They also receive extensive training - I recently looked into doing this - and are so gentle, sensible and pragmatic when you call for advice or help.  They are also great at absorbing things, if you need to off-load.

I think it is very unlikely that you have anything nasty going on, but it is so important to follow your instincts, and also to 'get to know your breasts', so that you can detect anything that seems different from the norm.  No-one will ever thing you are making a fuss if in the future you ask for medical help over any change in your breasts that makes you in any way concerned.

I think you are absolutely right that if you had something sinister associated with your lump, and it had persisted for five years, that you would be suffering from other problems by now.  This is another positive in your favour!

I don't know how to reassure you further than this, except to say that not only is it entirely normal to feel close to a meltdown while waiting to see a surgeon with a lump, but that you are in the company of so very many women experiencing the same fears even at this moment.

Routine mammography, in this country, is only recommended for women over fifty, as it takes time for malignant cells to calcify, and if they haven't, mammography is unlikey to discover them.  Ultrasound may be a more effective way to detect anything untoward in a woman of your age.  It is completely painless, and according to the radiologist who has been looking after me for the last 18 months, a very effective screening tool. 

The other thing that might be done at you appointment is that the surgeon may do an FNA.  It sounds horrible, but in my experience of it this week, it actually didn't hurt any more than a blood test - possibly less.  If they do this for you, keep pressing on where the needle site was for several minutes afterwards, with some cotton wool. They will probably give this to you, and ask you do do so, but if not - ask! That way you won't get much of a bruise - my FNA has not left even the tiniest mark.

Finally, if your worst fears come to fruition - there is so much that can be done for women with this disease now, and there is so much hope for a full recovery.

The surgery is less radical, and the adjuvant treatments finely tuned.

Lastly - my heart goes out to you today - I hope you get this post before your appointment - as I shall be sending you positive thoughts all day.

Please would you let me know how you get on?  I would really appreciate it.

LOL Manda xx

• Posted

Hi Julia

How did you get on?

I hope that all was well, and that you feel relieved now - but please let me know.

Best wishes

Manda

• Posted

Thanks all, 

It is amazing to receive such support through your replies! What would I do without the internet? Suffer in silence probably with terrible worry! 

Had appointment; all went very well - just by feeling the breast surgeon said a Lipoma. He also scanned it so I knew for sure. Bit fatty lump! I am not overweight and they can appear within anyone. He said if it grows out of control he would remove it but it is best to leave it there as it can cause more trouble to remove! Thanks so much Amanda25783.......what a fantastically knowledgeable and reassuring reply! I am so relieved! Been away in our caravan so sorry for late reply to your wonderful posts

Julia x 

• Posted

Hi Julia

Fantastic news!!

Hope you had a good holiday, and it didn't rain too much.

My FNA was negative - hooray!  So great news for both of us.

I am so glad that I could help a little.

Take care

Manda x

• Posted

Arh, what a relief for both of us........really pleased you are okay too! Isn't it a massive weight off? Thanks so much for your support, what a lovely lady you are! Would be nice to stay in touch but not under worrying /stressful situations, lol. To be worry-free is wonderful! 

Julia xx 

• Posted

Hi Julia

Thanks for your lovely, appreciative letter!  I am just soooo pleased that you are OK, and that I hopefully made it a little easier for you.

It took me about an hour to take in that there was nothing for me to worry about this time, before I had to start making phone calls and e-mails to lots of people.  Amazing, really, how many people really care - and you only realise it when the chips are down.

Then the relief set in - isn't is amazing how much better you feel without the weight of that potential nightmare? 

Keep well, and yes, it would be good to stay in touch, especially about happier things!  Perhaps we could check in on this site, now and again?

Manda xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.