I have been depressed for almost 9 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

the first time the feelings got extremely overwhelming and i didn't see the point on being alive was almost 9 years ago. people constantly tell me things will get better but they only seem to get worse. i lost my dad almost 3 years ago and now i just feel so alone in the world.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi dyingin, i don't know what has caused you to feel so bad? it sounds like something long term and deep seated. i think it doesn't matter when your dad died, without support some people find this devastating and if you have depression already, losing your dad will just make you feel worse! i lost mine 10 years ago, it still hurts on some days. i have had bouts of depression, i do sort of know how you feel. maybe seek some support, never mind pills, they may help, talking to someone about bereavement could do more good? i send you a virtual hug! 💙

• Edited

oh I am so sorry you’re going through this. It must be very difficult for you.

do you have any family or friends that you can talk to? If not, I would really suggest that you find a counselor that you can speak to about this. You really need support right now. There are even local churches that have free counseling and can provide you with resources that you may want.

are are you taking any medication for depression?

you NEVER have to be completely alone going through this. There’s a lot of support out there!

if you live in the United States, you can call your state and ask about counseling services in your area. . They also have free or low-cost counseling. Most community health centers offer that also. A lot of them are pay what you can afford.

You absolutely do not have to feel alone! it’s so important to talk to somebody. It gives you a connection and then you know that somebody is working to help you. they will help you start out with a very short term goal and work from there. It’s good because when I speak with my counselor, I feel like there’s a plan and every time I accomplish something it gives me a great feeling. It’s one day at a time. I really wish the same for you!

I had to decide that I was going to be a fighter for myself. I stopped having the pity party and got to work on my life. Life can be tough, unfair, sad , but I didn’t have to dwell in that. I’m trying to do the best for myself so that I have some joy in my heart.

1. One thing I did was I started to write down everything that I am grateful for. Every day. Everybody has something that they are grateful for even if it doesn’t seem like that.it’s amazing what you can come up with, even if it’s just having a roof over my head and food.
    2. I started exercising a little. Even if it’s just going for a walk. It releases endorphins in the brain which actually make you feel a lot better mentally!
    3. and of course eating a healthy diet is very important. Sugar, junk food actually increase depression and anxiety.

4.there is so much material online, YouTube, podcasts, that are so uplifting for people who have depression. Check them out!

5.here is a phone number in case you need to talk to somebody right away. It’s open 24 seven and is confidential.

800-273-8255 but you can do this! just take one day at a time and get a counselor as soon as you can. You can even do virtual appointments at home! Never ever give up because one day you’ll look back and be glad that you didn’t. ❤

• Posted

I also wanted to share with you that there are some really excellent videos on YouTube about not giving up and getting through things in life! They really helped me a lot! Just search for motivational talk not giving up. they really opened up my eyes and gave me strength and courage to move forward!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.