I have been depressed please help

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 29 years old and I just got a vaginal hysterectomy and I have been so depressed lately I cry a lot and I feel so bad about myself I have 2 children that need me and don't understand why mommy is so upset what should I do?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Tricia,

I'm so sorry you are feeling bad.  I am 60 years old so I can tell you I've been to low times in my life.  Your emotions are so responsive to your physical being.  You have the surgery behind you and hopefully you are on the way to good health.  I can testify that you will get past the depression.  If you need help at this time ask for it.  Sometimes I have had to just hold on live today for a better day tomorrow .  So look forward to good days in the future they will come.  Smile at yourself and smile at your kids.  Maybe you can start something that makes you happier like an exercise class.  Get plenty of sleep it is so important.  

Best wishes!!

• Posted

It's all a bit overwhelming isn't it?! You've just had a major operation and your hormones are flying all over the place. This is a well known normal reaction but you need to tell your doctor or nurses how you feel. They will know what to do to help. You can tell your children that mommy is feeling tired after the operation and is going to see the doctor who will help her get better. Ask them to give you a hug and tell them how much that helps. They can support in other ways too as you need to take it easy. A bit of fetching and carrying - take away supper - some treats. This is a family situation and family can make you feel less lonely and scared. It will get better. Let us now how it goes. Big hug from someone else who's had this op! 

• Posted

Hi Tricia. Whatever the reasons for your hysterectomy, remember these in a positive way. It must have been needed to make you feel better in the long term.   Accept any help that is offered from friends and family to care for your children while you recover from your surgery. It will take time to feel strong again. Then you can rest and recuperate, ready for hugs when your children come to you. 

Have you been offered any anti depressants or hrt to help you recover from the hysterectomy? Stay strong and keep in touch. There's lots of advise from lovely ladies on here x

• Posted

You've been plunged into drastic surgical menopause so your hormones are acting up big time. This scenario would have been explained pre-op surely? Exhaustion doesn't help as your body fights to heal & adjust. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. You CAN & WILL get there. Try & stay strong for your littlies and don't worry about not achieving everything everyday. Rest when you can. Have you got a parent that can come stay for a couple of weeks?

• Posted

I joined this group because I too was feeling depressed after surgery. I thought something must be wrong because I was so down. However, it is a part of recovery as your hormones, or lack thereof, are evening out. Even on HRT, I experienced a low period. Tell your children you are tired and your body is still healing (getting stronger) Know this group is here to help you through the low points. A hysterectomy is major surgery that affects multiple body systems including your emotional well-being.  Hold tight to the knowledge that this is a phase and let your doctor knowexactly what you are dealing with. Know here is no shame in feeling depressed. We are here for you. 
  • Posted

Hi, can I ask if had a full hysterectomy ? If so have they put u on HRT ? 

When I had mine done I was just the same all I did was cry 😭 didn't know what was wrong with me. I was so scared to go the doctors u wouldn't believe but I eventually got there with the help of my mum and was give the HRT which seem to do the trick. 

Hope u get the help u need x

• Posted

Hi, are you on bioidentical hormones or the synthetic one?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.