I have been diagnosed with OA of the hip.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have recently been diagnosed (through an X ray) with OA in both hips, but particularly in the left - which I agree, plus some dengeneration in the small of my back.  I do agree with all the letters I have read so far, doctors just say the words without meaning, hand out the painfillers and let you get on with it.  I am 66 yrs old (but don't write me off) and have enjoyed yoga, walking, swimming etc. up to about 4 months ago.  I find constant pain depressing, perhaps I'm not used to it, and feel frustrated no being able to do what I once could.  As an easy option, I am now on Napraxen (with a stomach settler) taken twice a day, which helps, but I still find I suffer with sciatica ache/pain during the night, bad enough to interrupt sleeping.  Intially I had groin and stomach pain, which I would never have associated with OA of the hip.  Any  help would help.  I am more than interested in a more natural method of pain relief and general improvement of my present situation.  I have been looking into Orthomol, has anyone tried this?  Also I am taking Naproxen sulphate 550 mg, any thoughts on this or an alternative?

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your description is accurate for the life changing pain of OA. The wear and tear disease of the joints. The cushion in the joints are worn and rub on the bone instead of cartel edge. That's why the pain. The end of the day of a full day of walking is torture. Anti inflams, topicals, rest and icing may help until u decide if UR ready for a THR.

Ask to see a hip surgeon . U sound like THR may be the next step to get relief.

i have had both done and it helped solve the excruciating pain. Rehab is a struggle about a yea before UR back to par.

dont wait too long as the pain UR in is there for a reason. To let u know that u could have tissue necrosis. Waiting to long can cause the bone to become necrotic. It's important to have THR done while u have good bone for the surgeon to work with and less complications for recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.