I have been diagnosed with thyroid problem.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone help me understand, why it takes a Dr., so long to diagnosis thyroiditis? I am truly confused. Thanks in advance for whatever help I can get.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Are you in the UK? The reason I ask is because here the endos appear hopeless.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Shelia, Ive been asking the same thing. I went onthyroid meds 13 years ago with no official diagnosis. 2 weeks ago i finally heard outof endos mouth that i have Hashimotos. It would have been nice to know this so i knew what i was dealing with.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      The good dr's who are able to not feel intimidated by sharing info tell u what's happening, the bad ones need to protect themselves by hiding the knowledge and 'keeping their power'.

      With thyroid problems it is frustratingly long as the meds need time to work in the system. A good dr will test TSH, T4, T3 every 2mths at the start.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hello Sheila:

    My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

    Thyroid issues are complex and many symptoms can mimic another disease.  Many Internal Medicine Doctors or GP's are trained briefly on the thyroid and many are not sharp r as smart,  and just fail to put all of the puzzle pieces together.

    I agree it is wrong, and when I had sympoms at age 12 no doctor I saw dignosed me.  I was 27 whenI fully got diagnosed. 

    Thyroiditis can be from an infection you had or after pregnancy.  Stress on the body also plays a part in it. The thyroid can calm down but maytake many months.

    Symptoms of thyroid disease can be just a few symptoms or a whole bunch of them. Some can ake years to fuly show up.  Symptoms of thyroid problems are: feels sleepy, low energy, periods are off or no periods, low body temp, low pulse, skin problems such as dry skin, muscles can be achy, bowel  problems, hair loss, feels cold, brittle nails and bruisng all over.  There are more these are common.

     Your doctor should refer you to an Endocrinologist who is much better trained in the Endocrine system.

    I hope this helps, any questions just ask.


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up