I have been dysphagia and chronic constipation for a year. All the tests show normal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having chronic constipation for a year now, and have difficulty swallowing on top of it, which started a couple weeks of constipation. My bowel movements are really weird. Sometimes I have a sensation of going to the washroom then it stops a few minutes later. Other times, I would have to wait a while to have a bowel movement. Most of the times I feel there is still feces stuck in my rectum but no matter how much I push, it's still there. I had a colonoscopy, the result is normal.

As for difficulty swallowing, I always feel food get stuck on the way down. It would come down eventually. I burp a lot then I would feel some of the food got moved. Sometimes I burp, a few pieces of food would come back up. I went for barrium swallow, and motility test, which all showed normal.

Does anyone out there have the same problems? Please let me know if they would eventually go away or it's a condition I have to live with. Would it get worst? Thank-you so much!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had several of the same symptoms. Have you had upper scope, barium test, ct, mri, or swallowing test done? It took 2 years to diagnose, and had to have hernia operation last aug. Feel so much better now. Dr sloan at luthern was absolutely fantastic! Good luck

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Please dont rule out that all of this could be down to stress/anxiety. The symptoms could be the kind of mild or transient digestive symptoms that everyone gets now and then, but Exacerbated by stress and over focus.

It cannot hurt to work this possibility through and try and break the cycle... Of course also taking a positive and objective approach to possible other 'conditions' ...

warmest,

N

• Posted

Some of the digestive issues you mention are related to motility, the process by which the gut shifts food etc through the whole system. And if one part does not work well, the rest may not be so good either. Sometimes this is related to the nerve system that controls the whole process.

My immediate reaction is that it would be good to try and concentrate on your constipation issue first. You have probably been told that this can be related to diet, drinking enough water etc etc. And use of medication as suggested by your doctor / pharmacist.

There is probably a fair amount of air getting trapped for you to burp a lot. So chewing food really thoroughly is, as always, a good thing. But perhaps the burping is a reaction to blockages further down, on the basis that what does not go down will probably have to come upwards.

I do not think it is possible to say whether it would necessarily get worse. There is no reason to think it will not get better.

I m not medically qualified, so take all this as well meaning suggestions that you can happily ignore if you think it does not apply.

• Posted

Thanks so much guys for your advice! I did go for upper and lower scopes, barrium swallow, and manometry . They gave me a bunch of blood test and found nothing. Sometimes I get really angry and asked why me? I had always been eating healthy and worked out 3 times a week. I don't smoke nor drink, and these happened to me. I would see some people drink and smoke all the time and they are fine. I really am stressed out and down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.