I have been experiencing a lot of muscle spasms. They become much more frequent as of late

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been experiencing a lot of muscle spasms. They become much more frequent as of late. I'm on prednisone 5mg and fluorine .1mg. I've increased my water intake and when the spasms become Charlie's, I drink tonic water. I'm still thirsty even after drinking 64 oz of water and attempt to exercise to get circulation going. I'm also experiencing some hyperpigmentation and I'm just not sure what to do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with Addison's Disease? I am assuming that is why you are taking the steroids? Have you had your electrolytes checked lately? (a comprehensive metabolic panel) Muscle spasms are a typical symptom of too much sodium in the blood but could also indicate another electrolyte imbalance. You may need to have the steroid doses adjusted.  I hope that helps a little!

• Posted

I agree with this. Drinking too much water can cause this excess sodium ["Hypernatremia"] and can make someone very ill and confused.

• Posted

On second thoughts, maybe I've got this the wrong way round! This is now the blind leading the blind so its main value is to tell you that you need to get your electrolytes checked - it is a simple blood test.

Anyway, what I now think is that drinking too much water causes _low_ sodium (hypOnatremia)  - one of the symptoms of diabetes insipidus [see below] is a craving for salt.

• Posted

If you are drinking a lot of water (and urinating a lot), you could have "diabetes insipidus" [not to be confused with "ordinary" diabetes - diabetes melitus]. You definitely need to see your doctor about this anyway but also because hyperpigmentation could mean that your Addisons is getting worse but also your thyroid could be overactive.

• Posted

If you _do_ have diabetes insipidus, then that points to a problem in the pituitary gland, making the adrenal deficiency "secondary" Addison's rather than "primary".

• Posted

Thank you for all your comments. I'll definitely be talking to my doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.