I have been getting these symptoms for over a year now can someone please help me.

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I am currently 15 years old and I'm a freshman in high school. Last year in early October when I would play my instrument in band I would feel like I was going to throw up about every time I would play, the doctors diagnosed me with a Chiari Malformation and later they said it had healed. Still occurring a year later I go to the ENT and they run a camera up my nostril to look at my throats and everything was fine. It now happens when I'm watching a movie, doing physical activity, even just walking to class. I feel like I am about to throw up, but not in a nauseous way, it's like I salivate and clench my teeth until it goes away, or I throw up and it goes away. Playing on stage give me a constant fear which doesn't help on top of whatever this is, if its anxiety I can't tell because I am a confident person and I love performing and stuff so if anyone has experienced anything like this or knows anything please help me out.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

not sure it almsot sounds like acid reflex, also maybe have some pulminary function test done, when your playing an instrument your porbably breathing different/ harder. might have something to do with it.
  • Posted

As you are paying saxophone I am wondering about 3 aspects.

1]   Has the intense blowing caused an imbalance in your inner ear[s]?. This could give you the nauseaus feelings you are describing. ie a bit like seasickness. 

2] Alternatively ...do you have a strap across your shoulders/neck to support the saxophone while playing?  Could this be causing irritation to nerves in your neck?

3] Do you move your neck a lot while playing? Backwards and forwards? This again could be irritating some nerves in the back of the neck,and it can cause a nauseous feeling.

Could be a combination of all three. Dont know how long you have been playing sax but it could have built up during this time. you mentioned a Chiari Malformation. Could this be linked?

Has anyone mentioned vertigo?   This is nothing to do with a fear of heights and can produce feeling like yours although often accompanied by dizziness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.