I have been in HRT for 22 years and plan to go off. What should I expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I want to go off HRT I have been on for 22 years

What should I expect?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea, why do you want to stop hrt? I understand you have been on it for a long time, but personally,after doctors tried to get me off it, and now have me back on it on a higher dose, I will not stop it ever, if I have the choice. It was a train crash in my life!
    • Posted

Hi Supermack 39, its good to know other people feel like me. I would stay on it for ever! Have you taken it very long ? x

• Posted

Hi Mars, yes I,ve been on it for around 10 years. Doctor tried about 3 years ago to get me off and all the panic, anxiety insomnia bets came back within a week. I was put back on hrt!Then last year, the doctor put me on to patches, and within 3 months I was on a downhill spiral. Long story, but after various hrt,s I was put back on the original hrt. The dose had to be increased, but now after 5 months, I am nearly back to normal. Unfortunately, I have been left with issues, after what I went through, like sleep anxiety and fear of the night, burning mouth syndrome, and internal shaking, on occasion. But.....I can function more or less normally, and each day I feel better. So, you can see that I won't be stopping hrt any time soon!

• Posted

Hi again, i also get that burning mouth not nice! I am on the same one's now i was on b4, same as you was put on a different one but made my symptoms worse? i am postmenopause, was wondering if you are? if you don't mind me asking ? Can't imagine feeling ok if hd to come off them? x

• Posted

I think I am post menopause. I say that because with all the messing about with different hrt,s, I have had periods again....joy. I think it's nuts at 61 to have periods kick started, so last month I was put on conti, but still had a period. I,m waiting to see if I have one this next week or not. Isn't all this a pain in the backside? What do you use for burning mouth?

• Posted

Hi again i get the burning mouth not nice! Iam now on my original HRT as i was put on a different one, hence the symptoms were worse. I am post menopause just wondering if you are? if you don't mind me asking! Can't imagine life without them x

• Posted

I haven't tried anything as yet have you? I am 63 yes it is a pain in the backside! My gyneacologist advised me to stop HRT, they all have diff views.The other one b4 her said to stay  on them?  My Dr said its up to me its about how you feel x

• Posted

Hi Mars, I actually had an apology from my doctor and acknowledgement that all that I had been going through was down to a hormone imbalancement, and that I had been right not to take the variety of meds. that I had been prescribed! At least I am not on the anti depressants , sleeping tablets, beta blockers etc. I do take vit b12 complex, vit d,multi vit, and my life saver, magnesium. I've never taken vitamins in my life, but they do help and at least are natural.

I got biotene from the chemist a couple of weeks ago for the dry,burning mouth. It seems to help a bit. I don't know if the bms is because I am low in iron, or if it is still the hormones.

• Posted

Hi Andrea, i have been on HRT for 7 years almost! i had to come off of it due to a Hysteroscopy & removal of a polyp, all my results came bk clear. I was ok for six weeks then i gradually felt my symptoms coming back. I gave it a few more weeks then went to see my GP. I am now back on HRT going into the 4th week, i am happy to say i can now feel the HRT beginning to work, to be honest i couldn't cope with the sweats anxiety no energy or loss of interest in everything. The one thing i will say is that i had to stop mine abruptly because of aneasthetic. You need to come off them gradually. If you do come off them keep me posted Thanks & good luck x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response

I am rethinking my decision to stop HRT

I will do more research

Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.