I have been on 50mg sertraline for 10 days. Not worked yet. Is it safe to stop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 50mg of sertraline for 8 days and 100mg for 2 days. The side effects have been terrible. Even though it has been such a short time of taking them, I am worried it might not be safe to stop taking them completely. Can anyone advise me? I would be grateful. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Why do you want to stop Shaun? 

Is it the side effects or don’t you feel they are working?

The side effects are terrible but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

If you want to come off them do it slowly so iv read on here, not tried myself yet but when the time comes my gp said to go back and we will discuss how to do it. 

But don’t just stop cold turkey 

good luck 

sorry for not being more help.

• Posted

Hi Shaun even though 10 days isn't that long I would definitely titrate off them over maybe 2 weeks because stopping 100mg suddenly could give you some bad side effects...hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks maria19434 I think that sounds a good idea. I only took 100mg for 2 days. I hate what they are doing to me. It has been the worse experience of my life. doctors never tell you about all this. They just throw these drugs at us. I just don't know what to do? I will speak with the dr today. Thanks

• Posted

Hi maria19434 I went to the DR and she told me I can stop as it take 2 to 3 weeks to work so I have not been on them long enough. I stopped and the following night I woke up at 2 or 3 in the morning yet again. Had anxiety but controlled it with breathing technique. Was depressed when I got up. Last night was the second night off sertraline and I woke again at 2AM feeling sick. I woke up 4 times feeling depressed. This morning I feel depressed. I felt depressed and highly anxious before I took it and now I am off for 2 days I feel depressed. Its the side effects and withdrawal symptoms that scare the hell out of me. I don't know what to do I just don't want to be on sertraline so long that I have to face the withdrawal symptoms and spends many months coming off them. I don't want to go back on them after 2 days and start lowering the dose until I am taking maybe 10mg then 5 mg until I stop. 1o days isn't a long time, maybe I will have it out of my system in a week maybe. Sorry I have rambled on a bit.

• Posted

Hi shaun why don't you just stick to 50mg? Give it one more week or so, once the side effects subside then you will start feeling better x

• Posted

it is the withdrawal symptoms that scare the hell out of me. They are worse than the side effects I have read and last longer. My doctor(s) don't seem to care at all. I told them what my problem was and my doctor said "tell that to the people that are calling me about NHS therapy". He just didn't want to know. thanks

• Posted

Same with all these meds, you need to inc the dose slowly and give it time to work and similarly you need to decrease the dose slowly when coming off. Not everyone gets withdrawal problems and the trick really is to do it slowly including every other day dosing to wean self off 
  • Posted

Hi Shaun,

It takes 3-4 weeks to see a response in reality. Sadly it’s also in the initial few weeks that you may get some side effects that are usually GI related - so nausea, diaorrhea etc .... they do usually settle after a few weeks. If you do stick with it, and they ALL take 3/4 weeks to work then you should start to see things like motivation return .... if you feel no better after 8 weeks go back to your dr who may inc the dose 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.