I have been on and off Prednisalone for about 6 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

As my blood tests are always negative my GP and Consultant have been unsure what to do with me. Started with 15mg and after three weeks reduced to 12.5mg and I started feeling really ill and dizzy all the time. Then I was put up to 40 mg and so ill they had to take me off. When all the symptoms came back they put me on a 5mg and now on 15mg for the forseeable future. Trouble is I take at 8.30 with breakfast and then feel dizzy and drunklike all day. Eventually wears off at about 8 pm when I feel fine. I want to take at 8 pm instead, as I have a husband with early Altzheimers and need to be as good as I can be during the day, especially if I have to drive for an appointment. I keep being told that I will get insomnia. Is this true? If so what can I do to help to get to sleep? Anyone else had this problem?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Steroids can cause insomnia, but to avoid that you can split the dose in half and take 1/2 just before bed time and the rest in the morning. This should help you to feel better during the day. At least that is what I have done while on doses above 5mg.

Here is the reasoning behind this suggestion. PMR pain is caused by cytokines that are released by our body about 4-4:30 AM. Ideal time to take un-coated pred is about 2-3 hours before or as late as possible before going to bed. Taking half minimizes chances for insomnia.

• Edited

Try checking in with PMRGCAuk community on the HealthUnlocked website which you can google. Lots more people over there. Nick's advice good.

Do you always take your pred with food? That's important to do, no matter what time of day you take it.

I have found taking one of my calcium doses near bedtime has pretty much eliminated my lifelong intermittent insomnia (five years and counting now!).

• Posted

Of course you must leave at least two hours between taking calcium and taking pred. I've recently been splitting my dose and it's taken a while to find the right timing for me.

• Posted

Yes always take with food. Now taking my 15 mg as 2.5 with breakfast, 7.5 with lunch and 5 mg with evening meal. But still feeling bad during the day. Head is whirling most of the time and legs feel as though they are not supporting me.Is it the PR or the steroids making me feel like this is the question?

• Posted

perhaps you would have more luck if you try two doses LATE at night ( after midnight if possible) and second one in the morning. As far as "taking pred with meal" few spoons of yogurt is sufficient , does not have to be complete meal.

• Posted

No reason for you not to try taking all your pred before bed - it MAY keep you awake but it might not and there are several on the other PMRGCAuk forum Anhaga has mentioned who do that without any problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.