I have been on Atenolol for a few months now, I have exp...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been on Atenolol for a few months now, I have experienced a few side effects lethargy, unable to sleep right through the night, always wake up at least twice, therefore I am constantly tired, but the one that is really getting me down is my weight, I eat really healthily and exercise a minimum of five times a week doing aerobic dance and stepper, and have only been doing this since I noticed the weight gain, but despite all this I am still gaining weight,I can't seem to stop it, I am on 25mg a day, has anyone else suffered with this and overcome it, if so how? any comments or sugestions would be most welcome :ok:

[i:f7d2dd3c02]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f7d2dd3c02]

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

And I thought it was only me. I even joined a Slimming Club, followed the rules 125% but nothing happened, I did not lose any weight. Like you I am a healthy eater but the whole thing is getting me down. Going to make my doctor listen when I go for my next check up because the whole thing gets you down.

[i:790cc3d97a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:790cc3d97a]

• Posted

So I am not alone :headhurts:. Good luck seeing your dotor, I saw mine and to say that he was unsympathetic is an understatement,(I'm on them for an irregular heartbeat) basically he told me to put up with the side effects, or stop taking the tablets. So I have stopped taking them as my kids are suffering with a really crabby parent amonst other things. I have slept throught the night since and have been alot happier and have had more energy, the down side is that the palpatations are coming back with avengence. Still only another 5 weeks till I hear what the cardiologist thinks. (Ha ha) S I'm not holding my breath though, I've heard alot of people who suffer with an irregular heartbeat just end up on beta blockers forever. Anyway if your doctor gives you any useful information I'd be interested in hearing it. Good Luck

[i:f36001b8f6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f36001b8f6]

• Posted

I suffer from an underactive thyroid and am now on 250 mcg thyroxine and am really careful with diet, so when I started Atenolol and started putting on weight, I didn't attribute this to the Atenonol. Your comments and similar ones on this site have alerted me to the side affects, with lethargy being the worst. I'll now discuss this my doctor and tell him I won't be taking them any more. Thanks

[i:140bfab320]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:140bfab320]

• Posted

I am also reassured to read other comments. Am on Atenolol for irregular heartbeat. Just 25mg daily until see the cardiologist etc but the effects on my weight and shape within 3 weeks is as if I had starting taking hormone treatment. I also have an underactive thyroid, and this medication seems to be cancelling out the effects of the thyroxine! About to make an appointment with the doctor now.

[i:7bbcc8981a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7bbcc8981a]

• Posted

Hi

Been taking Atenolol for about 6 months . Not felt very good most of the time . Stopped taking them for 5 days and BP went up . While not taking them felt great . As BP went up chickened out and started taking them again . At the moment feel very tired legs ache and feel swollen but are not . Looks like a trip back to GP but running out of alternatives as this is the third type of BP tablets tried ...

[i:730487c298]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:730487c298]

• Posted

First time on site ,found it very interesting, I am on a combination of Atenonol,Amlovasc,Rampiral and Bendroflumethiazide for high blood pressure. I am overweight (morbidly obese) and feeling very low because I am finding it impossible to motivate myself to lose weight in fact the lower I am feeling the more I am eating,have most of the symtoms mentioned by others don't no where to go for help can anyone give me any advice please. :ill:

[i:984aed79e4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:984aed79e4]

• Posted

I too am now morbid obese. Having gone to my GP with several 'little' (including gaining 15kg) things. I take thyroxine 250mg, but things are not going well. After trying to explain to my GP about my problems (thinking it was my thyroid) he was very angry and said that I should accept that I eat too much and need to diet. Ha. HA! What does he think I do now!!?? Went on the net and starting checking my medications (several) and was amazed that all my problems (yes all!!) are the complete list of side effects (that are not mentioned on the leaflet you get). On top of that I had stopped going out. Had become scared of meeting people.

I am now weaning myself of the drug. Will monitor my bloodpressure. Is there more about this drug that we are not told? Are there official drug trial results we the public can obtain?

[i:73cbef3263]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:73cbef3263]

• Posted

I was prescribed a low 25mg dose of Atenolol to reduce my migraines. Having always been on the slim side, I have gained 1 1/2 stone in 2 months. I think I would rather have the headaches, I feel lethargic most of the time and wake up feeling just as tired as when I went to bed.

As I am lucky that I do not have the high blood pressure or heart problems most folk prescribed this drug suffer, I think I am going to call it a day and wean myself off. T

his time last year I could get into a big size 10, I am now struggling into a size 14 and look about 5 months pregnant. Not good sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.