I have been on citalopram for 10 weeks and still suffering morning anxiety, tell me it goes away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

firstly sending you well wishes !

Could anyone please help with some reassurance if they have suffered the same?

i started my journey 10 weeks ago after a complete nervous breakdown. before the breakdown life stressed didnt get me down as such - i let stress really get to me but anxiety and depression wssnt a thing for me intill one day it hit and i havent been the same me since! i wouldnt sleep well, horrendous anxiety in the mornings but always seemed to level out in the evenings.

Anyway, i started on sertaline - lasted 2 days on that made me violently sick and ill pupils were dialated like id been on ecstacy so GP changed it to citalopram 10mg and this is where my journey began! s

week 1 - first few days i thought wow this is a miricle drug made me feel good after a day even thi i had head ache and nueasea

week 2 - dealing with heightening anxiety in mornings, tiredness, yawning.

week 3 - back to work it helped

week 4 - morning anxiety disappearing started to feel myself again

week 5 - still feeling good but getting waves of depression - not a great week.

week 6 - felt great !

week 7 - GP increased my dose to 20mg ! felt no additional side effects

week 8 - starting to get morning anxiety back , yarning

week 9 - same but severe tireness !

week 10 - same and waves of depression throughout the day - night time calm.

will this ever just go away? i feel worse on 20mg!? should i have just stuck to 10mg?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

second time on cit. I have been on cit for 8 weeks on 20mg. I've noticed some improvements however big blip now due to aa period I think and some stressors.

everytime you increase a dose it starts the side effects back up and you need to give a dose at least 8 weeks to work. some people recover on 10mg. maybe you increased to early but maybe 20mg will work really well for you once it settles. it worked great for me the first time round I was very happy and even came off them thinking it's all cured lol I was wrong back on them again and struggling big time even after 8 weeks. so you just need to give it more time I would say another month or so for full benefits.

• Posted

just remember if your feeling great on the meds is because of the meds.wink

• Posted

First of all, I’m sorry to say that if you noticed a difference within a few days of taking the 10s, that was a placebo affect. There’s no way they’d get in your system that fast.

Second of all, you’ve only been on the 20’s for what, three weeks? That’s still very early so they haven’t completely settled yet. 20 is the lowest therapeutic dose so it should make way more of a difference compared to 10mg.

The morning anxiety/depression do go away. I had increased mine to 40mg three weeks ago, and it went away for me within two weeks. My dose is higher tho. Just give it another week or two, and it should get better. Just hang in there!

• Posted

this really helped thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond to my post nina87533

• Posted

Am surprised you seemed to feel an improvement in such a short time it usually takes a few weeks before the medication begins to take effect & we have to be patient during this time - not easy I know.

One really important thing I've learnt on my own journey with these meds is that 'stress' which is so much a part of all our lives these days is the real importance of making real down time for ourselves - so hard to do & so important. I suspect if most of us could really manage this (like a real complete DAY OFF as I term it) we would not overstrain our nervous system which leads so many of us to anxiety mode & then to depression. It is just SO important & heeding this advice is what has truly helped me overall. You have to be firm with yourself but believe me it works!!

• Posted

thank you sheila, i too beleieve that just very hard to find time being a single parent working full time with 50 mile round commute. new job in home town come january so allot more organisation in my life and time for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.