I have been on Citalopram for 2 days for depression and ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been on Citalopram for 2 days for depression and anxiety and am having the following side effects:

Heavy feeling in jaw, tiredness, doing everything slower than usual, faster heart rate, listlessness, yawning, feeling sick, generally feeling unwell!

[i:b942b5a726]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b942b5a726]

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I felt exactly the same for the first couple of days and wondered if the side effects were worth it, however within a week they passed and now the only side effect I have is extreme tiredness. My doctor told me to hang in there and she was right, your body does adjust.

[i:95e8bc8aca]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:95e8bc8aca]

• Posted

I was recently given citalopram and found that i couldn't get to sleep. only took them for a couple of days as i get very tired due to my job. have talked to someone at work (i work in a hospital) and they advised that i persevere with them and the side effects should go after a week? So am going to start again tomorrow and see how it goes. :?:?:?:? Really need it to work as feel really miserable.

[i:b760d36a03]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b760d36a03]

• Posted

ive just been prescribed it today,find the reports of tiredness alarming as one of my main depressive complains is chronic fatigue and lack of energy.tried one of the other ssri,s yrs ago and wondered whats so different about this one

[i:82b6ef2f92]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:82b6ef2f92]

• Posted

I have been on citalpram for seven months now - and for the first week I felt a lot worse than I had ever done. But after two weeks the scales began to tip the other way and as the side affects reduced I began to feel much more positive and in control of things. To be direct about it instead of getting anxious before going out - I couldn't even go out; instead of being quite tired most of the time I felt exhausted; and instead of not being able to sleep properly I could barely sleep at all and had vivid dreams / nigtmares when I did. I felt dizzy and even paranoid at times.

But with all that said, I would definately go through that 2 weeks again with no hesitation to be in the position and mind set that I am in now. Life in not one big paty by no means - but its a hell of a lot easier to deal with things!!smile

[i:8fa156a8b8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8fa156a8b8]

• Posted

update from me-reply 3.thanks for comments,it helps as ive been on them for 9 days now,the first week was hell,sooo exhausted & felt sick,now im getting bit more used to them.feel calmer and dont lose my temper so much,but most of time cos cant be bothered.will stick with them with hope.at least ive recognised im depressed...again. & hopefully as this is having some effect-however weird,it will help.i take them at nite,taking them,it -20mg. in the day totally wiped me out.will update progress.:?

[i:54ae69811b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:54ae69811b]

• Posted

hi ive been on these for 11 days now and i feel really sick with them,how long will this last its horrible

[i:12c91e1536]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:12c91e1536]

• Posted

ive been on these tablets for 5 days now,the first day was really bad but now i just get complety exausted about 2 hours after dropping the pill.my anxiety has pretty much dissapeared,and sometimes now i look out the window and actually see the world for what its is and feel like my old self for a few minutes again.the only problem i find is that if i take one there is no way on earth i can do exercise,i just feel weak and pathetic.its quite funny really.keep on keeping everyone xxx :ok:

[i:68815ee12e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:68815ee12e]

• Posted

This is my 3rd day on Citalopram and I feel as though someone has done me over with a large stick! I feel sick, I can't eat, every muscle aches, I feel so weak, I can't relax and I can't seem to sleep either. I have been on this drug before though and I can remember it working really well once the side effects started to wear off so I'll stick at it and hopefully they will go soon.

What do we do to ourselves? lol :headhurts:

[i:093f36d84d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:093f36d84d]

• Posted

i am a 3rd year student mental health nurse and suddenly found myself experiencing extreme panic attacks about a month ago. after sufferering quietly for a couple of weeks i visited the doc and was put on citalopram 20mg a day. The first 5 days were horrendous, my panic attacks became worse, i was certain i had a mental illness and was going mad. as well as bad headaches and a contant feeling of sickness, however this is my 7th day of taking them and i am beginning to feel normal again. i have been out alone with the dog today for the first time in a week and i feel able to resume my course after xmas. to anyone who finds themselves prescribed citalopram for panic attacks, i would reccomend to stick with them the 5 days of side effects are more than worth it. GOOD LUCK

[i:7170216ff5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7170216ff5]

• Posted

iv been on citalopram for 3 days and feel exhausted,cant stop yawning and feel a bit off balance and dizzy.morning grogginess is also been a killer the last couple of days,and been getting the runs.are all these normal and how long till the drug starts to take effect propaly?:ok:

[i:11b1ebea20]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:11b1ebea20]

• Posted

I have been on Citalopram for nearly a month. My first few days on Citalopram 20mg were hell. I took my first one on a Friday morning and didnt get out of bed until 7pm on Saturday, felt sick, agitated and constantly tired. Its a shock to the body and does effect your mind for a few days and I experienced very upsetting dreams. I'm constantly reassured I wont feel like this forever. I'm now a month into my course and although I have my quiet days where little gets me excited or talkative I think I'm climbing out of the hole I was in. But I still suffer from very broken sleep causing fatigue and periods of extreme anxiety and I have be prescribed Diazepam to combat this. Really glad I discovered this site and that I'm not alone, it's renewed my hope that I'll have the old me back some time soon. :ok:

[i:9ef439f433]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9ef439f433]

• Posted

I have just been prescribed citalopram on Monday, haven't taken one yet as I read all the side effects which I probably shouldn't have done. Trying to pluck up the courage to take my first one today, dreading the nausea though, does everyone have these side effects?sad

[i:7321dae90d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7321dae90d]

• Posted

My G.P. advised me to take 1/2(10mg) for the first four days.

Started yesterday and have felt nauseous and had a really bad night last night. I was really worried about continuing so found this site. I still don't know if I can persevere with them.

[i:63b2174c89]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:63b2174c89]

• Posted

I have been to the doctors this am,was prescribed citalopram after saying for the last 3mounth I cant sleep,cant shop, cant stop cryng, have panic attakes,cant organise anything or make disitions Im moody and I have a husband who tries very hard to undersand but it is something he just simpley cant understand. I spasifically said I didnt want to take anything that would make me feel drousy or lose my concentration :shock::o Im confused!chrissy 31-01-06

[i:b54528e69b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b54528e69b]

• Posted

I have been taking citalopram for nearly a year and have found, through trial and error, that the best time to take is immediately before breakfast! Any other time and it makes me feel sick so this might be worth a try if you feel nauseous a lot! I feel wonderful on these tablets -- still have bad days occasionally but generally GREAT!!! Highly recommend you stick with them!:lol:

[i:887aeba77d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:887aeba77d]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.