I have been on citalopram for 2 weeks but wake up so nervous and anxious in the mornin

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, I have made it through the terrible nausea, the total loss of appetite, the complete fatigue, and am looking forward to some positive results. But even after 2 weeks, I dread every morning because i wake with a sudden panic feeling. That sets the stage for the whole day pf fighting the anxiety and worrying about anything that "might" happen. Can anyone tell me if this is aother side effect that will stop when my system adjusts ? I am taking 20 mg. i took 40mg for several years and did very well but thought I was cured. What a big mistake when I weaned off. Now I am trying to regain my life and stop obsessing on everything that my imagination can think of. Does anyone have any experiences like mine that you can share ?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hey Kathy totally part of the anxiety was my most hated part, as felt I was never coming out of that dark place, but it will go, dont think I will ever come off cit, never want to go back to that place. only on cit since October 2013 Persevere it will go. 7-8 weeks it took me to come out of it, and longer to maintain.

Anne x

• Posted

Thank you so much! I will hang in there. I am so glad to know that I am not alone in this. I just hate waking up in the morning and trying so hard to keep my mind from racing through that darkness and the gripping fear that comes over me. 
  • Posted

Hi Kathy

The morning anxiety was one of the first things to go for me.  I had this before I started Citalpram also and it was defo the last remant of the plague to dissapear.  I htink it's just anxiety rather than a side effect and it will go.  It does take quite a while for Cit to work so hang in there and be patient.  Its like starting all over again if you've weaned off it.  I was on Paroxetine before which is another SSRI, weaned off it as I felt ok, although looking back I was going through a really stressful time and shouldn't have even tried to come off.  I have come to the conclusion that I am this way by nature.  I've had therapy and it was really good and I could honestly see the reasoning behnd it and even agreed.  The first sensible person was my new GP who just asked me outright whether I thought I was just this way and it was so deeply ingrained in me me by now that perhaps I'd always struggle. And she was right.  If I have it my way I will never come off meds again.  I've tried so many times in the last 20 years and  honest I feel fine now, no numb feelings, I just feel a very good version of myself.

• Posted

Thank you! That is reassuring. I agree. This is just wo I am. Whether it is genetic (my Mom had it all her life and at 84still does) she always told us she was dying and went from doctor to doctorand never anything wrong. All I care about is feeling positvie again and taking life as it comes instead of being paralyzed in fear of what might be. Thaks again for sharing. 
  • Posted

I used to wake and get hit with that anxiety and nervousness.  It used to ease during the day, I'd go to bed, and I'd get it again in the morning.

I often used to wonder if it was waking and just the realisation that I had yet another day to get through.

It'll go in time.

• Posted

Thank you Katesogs! That's how mine goes. It eases during the day and is even better by bedtime. But then in the morning, there it is again. And your description of getting through another day,is so accurate. And I have to do it while hiding how I really feel from my husband. I have b en trying to work it off at the gym because my husband wants me to go with him and I have always been an acid exerciser and runner so I have to go to appear normal. Having a strong workout doe s give me a short break from imagining that I might have a terrible disease but it doesn't last long. Your message really helps. This message  boar d is a lifeline! You people are amazingad I am so happy I found my way here
    • Posted

Exercise is so good for this illness, and even if you don't feel like going it's good when you get there.  Well done for going x   Does your husband not know about your illness, or do you just not discuss it much? Many years ago when I was ill nobody knew about it except my husband.  I couldn't talk about it as didn't know this was normal symptoms, and anyway, people just didn't talk about depression then.  There was nothing around for support like this site, in fact there was no internet.  I kept it to myself for many years for fear people though me weird.  I'm so glad it's more recognised now, and people talk about it more.

When you're ill like this though, our minds go into overdrive and imagine all sorts of things which scare us.  It's all perfectly normal, though not very pleasant.

Keep in touch xxxx

• Posted

Hi Kate,thank you so mich for responding. My husband knows but he knows I was stable and made my own decision to stop taking meds because I thought I was cured. He saw how horrible the disease was for my Mom and how it affected my dad. It scares him to think of a life like that. But my Mom was very different and the meds then were not as good. He feels helpless when I tell him how I feel and he wants so much for me to be back to where I was. I have recently actutally stated telling people that I a close to that I have this problem. I don't care if they think I am crazy. Did you ever just keep imagining that you were going to have some terminal illness and jus get paralyzed with panic ? I didn't know if that's a common thing or just me.
    • Posted

Yes I know what you mean.  Though my husband knew he didn't really know what to do when I had bad times, as he didn't really understand it.  Last year our son came down with depression real bad (broke my heart) and it's now that my husband can fully see the full effects what this illness does, and is much more understanding.  Our son has had a dreadful time, but seems to be lifting again.

No I never worried I had a terminal illness (though sorry to say I wished I had so I could just die and escape the torture) ..... I was just very scared of losing it completely and being locked away.  It's very common though to worry you have all sorts of illnesses - our minds go into overdrive.  I got very angry recently when a 'friend' said people with depression are crazy!  I replied that people with depression are of sound mind and fully aware of what's happening and considering she's never experienced it she shouldn't comment on it.

It's only since my son has been I'll that I've admitted to people that I've had it too.

If this medication has worked for you before, it'll work again xxx

• Posted

Kathy Hi!

Firstly your side effects are almost identical to those which I experianced upon taking this evil  (to some people) drug.

I could not get out of bed, when I did i just sat and looked at the wall and slept most of the day.Nausea and loss of appitite were also a problem anf Iws having to force food down me while feeling sick !!

My problem commence when after agreement with my GP to commence on 10mg per day (which was fine)then as soon as i increased the daily dose to 20mg per day i immeadiately started with all the side effects above plus a few others like dry mouth and loads of stomach gas.

I made the mistake of attempting to beat te drug staying on it at the higher dose for 4 weeks. Returning to my GP I followed instructions to lower the dose back down to 10mg per day with no change in my side effects. After a week the GP and I agreed to stop the drug. (The best decission I hae made!!) and monitor the results. That was 22 Dec 2014 today i still have some side effects but slowly they do appear to be diminishing but there are good days and bad days but hopefully a downward progression on the overall withdrawal symptoms.

What I am sayin is that these drugs do not suit everyone and it looks like you maybe having a similar experience to me. I strongly recommend that you return to your GP and expalian the situation and take a revised course of action for oyur initail problems and the side effects from the drug don't make the mistake that I made and try and beat it !!

Should your GP not respond to your views and wishes then go and get a second opinion!

I do hope that this helps!!

Dave

• Posted

As i've said on another thread Dave, I may be following your advice,

Its now exactly 4 weeks i've been on citalopram, and apart from one decent evening 8 days ago, its been hell.

In fact, yesterday and today are the worst yet, and I can't understand how that can be put down to temporary side-effects after 28 days! It seems to me that they are making me much worse than I was in the first place. I can't eat and barely sleep, and feel overly anxious all day, you know the feelings, itchy/tingling arms, legs, neck, racing thoughts in your mind, unable to concentrate on anything. I would cry if I had any emotion in me.

I really don't know what to do, as I'm now worried about the possibility of feeling WORSE while coming off the tablets!

Wish I'd never even taken ONE of them, and dealt with it myself

Thanks for reading

• Posted

Thanks Dave! I havebeen keeping my GP aware of the side effects. I jnow I can't manage with nothin. I was having so many panic attacks and depresion that my quality of life was 0. My husband was at his witts end with me. Since I was on this drug at twice the dosage before, and had years of peace, I am hoping to return to that space. If the nervou seness doesn't stop within the next couple of weeks, I will talk to my GO about where we go from here. It is very difficult to hide these feelings from my husband but he does not want to deal with it because I went through this years ago and he is upset that I ever weaned myself off to begin with. By the way, it took a full 3 months of weaning very very slowly to avoid the horrible withdrawal effects. Thank you very much!
    • Posted

I hope that you find a positive way forward as i said before if Cit doesn't siut in my experience it would be better to change your appraoch to your problems sooner than later as if the same happens to you as to me (which i reallt do hope it doesn't) there could be several weeks of withdrawal which will hamper any changes which you may make with your GP. Don't forget the posibility of a second opinion if you are meeting any resistance from the medics 

Dave

• Posted

Andy Hi!

I can relate to some of problems as i am about 6 weeks without Cit and although i am somewhat better i still have the nausea, the lack of appitite and lack of energy.

What is a positive is that when chatting on these websites it gives some confirmation that the symptoms are more likely to be a result of the drug rather than some underlying isses which I on several occasions thought could be the case and I am sure that I am not alone in that.

Dave

• Posted

This is for all, Citaloprram has many side effects like it develops skin diseases, some get rashes on the skin, mainly dandruff, this dandruff caused due to citalopram cannot be cured by taking anti-dandruff shampoos. This dandruff affects where hair touches the skin. It will be seen as white patch with kind of wound but there will be no pain, but when you scratch it, the entire place will be wet with plain water, when you rub it off, it goes off at the moment. After few hours it will appear again, again water will come out, if more scratched blood will come and then after you see blood becomes dry and it will be ugly to look as though you have Psoriasis. But it happens only inner and outer part of the ears, sides of noses and in the forehead. When you just shake your head, you can see white flakes like dandruff will fall on your clothes  like rain fall. Only way is to have full shave.

After enough research I found out a way, there is another drug which is more powerful and safe is Escitalopram Oxalate. If you are taking 20 mg of citalopram, then just 10 mg of "Escitalopram Oxalate"  is enough. This will reduce your above problems by 80%.

• Posted

Wow! That one I have never heard of. Is the Escitalopram the one markets as Lexapro? My pharmacist suggested that as a comparable alternative if my sideeffects did not subside

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.