I have been on citalopram for 3 weeks and not seeing a different.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All,

Im a 29yr old male. I was put on citalopram for depression and anxiety. This will be my 3rd week. I'm really scared it wont work on me. I feel like i'm taking it but not seeing the benefits. I have read it can take 4 to 6 weeks to work. Is this the case? Im geting more anxious and depressed at the though that it not working.

Can some please shed any light on this, and offer any support? I just want to be my happy old self, being in work is the worst, I feel i just want to run home, and every min feels like an hour

xx

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anthony, I am going to try that again. I thought the weekend may be a bit rough due to the dose increase. I am glad the new week has started and I hope things start looking up a bit. I hope you start feeling more settled, and yes, keep positive. Lee. smile
  • Posted

Hi Anthony, sorry to hear you are struggling. I totally understand! I have been on cytalopram for a few years now. It is a brilliant drug, but it does take a good few weeks to really kick in. I felt very sick for a couple of weeks but so glad I stuck with it as it helps me to be balanced and content. You will be your old self, and the tablets will work. Just hang in there! All the very best to you Sylvia 
    • Posted

Hi Sylivia, Thank you so much for your reply. Hearing good things about cit and that it works make me keep going. It so true when someone says they are suffering with depression, becasue that what it feeling like, suffering, and no one can see that you're ill. Will you be taking them for good now? xx
  • Posted

Hi Anthony I will probably be on citalopram for life, or certainly until I retire in about 10 years. I have had depression and anxiety all my life on and off. Psychotherapy has been my saving grace, along with the meds. I have learned a lot about myself and can manage my ment al health quite well these days. Sylvia :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.