I have been on citalopram for 4 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on these pills for 4 weeks do I hold it out cause I’m still not seeing any improvement can any one help me !

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Keep going - they do work.

People usually start seeing affects after about 4 weeks.

Wait until 8 weeks - if no improvement then go back to your GP.

• Posted

Or your a doctor then. I was told 3 weeks and thing will get better I’m still feeling quite a lot off aniexty 
    • Posted

Hi Sophie 

Everyone is different but keep going with it , it can take several weeks to kick in and sadly anxiety seems to get worse for a spell .

I’ve been 5 months and have improved but it takes time and you must be patient.

Matt 

• Posted

Have a look on the thread “when do you know if Citalopram just isn’t working”  on this site , there’s lots of good positive chat on their.

Kate has been helping and supporting me no end , she has lots of experience with Cit

Matt 

• Posted

I’ve been on 20 mg going on a year and yes they do work. Can’t remember the last time I had a panic attack. I do feel the symptoms now and then, but they do pass. Hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Sophie

These meds can take months to work - 4 weeks is really early still.  Count recovery in months, not weeks.  Don't worry about the time it takes, it gets easier - and everyone is different.  Some people feel better quicker than others ....... it took me 6 months to completely recover.

During the time is takes you'll also get blips - this is when you often feel like you're back at the beginning, but this is perfectly normal - its just your body adjusting.  Just go with it and carry on.

I recovered on 20mg, some people find 30mg or even 40mg is best suited to them.  A larger dose won't make you better any quicker - its just what suits your particular body, so don't think upping to the maximum dose of 40mg you'll recover quicker.  Also each time you increase meds you will get side effects again (they will wear off).

Early morning anxiety often stays with you as you recover - it was the last symptom to disappear for me.  Again we're all different, so it might ease earlier for you.

Just take this slow as you cannot hurry this - the meds work slow and you may not notice anything happening at all ... but they are working.  You do need a lot of patience on these meds so just try and go with whatever is happening at the moment - it will get better.

You're doing fine - you will get there.  Just give the meds time - lots of time.

K x

• Posted

I am on 20mg too and I did not start seeing positive results until about week 5 and then it was gradual. There maybe 'bumpy' days but the good days increase. You are not alone. Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks for your help I hope I get there soon my mood horrible just wanna be back to my self 
  • Posted

there are a couple of brilliant books which are a must read.  I re read them all the time. 'Depression, the curse of the strong' and a book called recovery letters. They really help. Hope this helps and you are not alone. Millions of us going through it but you will see the sun on the other side.x

• Posted

How long have you been on citalopram would you say it’s really helps you 
  • Posted

This is my 5th time in 20 year. Yes it definitely has helped but it is a painful journey every time I go back on it for about 8 weeks. I have just been made redundant so taken a bit of a back step but without being on the meds I would be in a far worse place. Defo stick with it and keep updating your Dr.
    • Posted

I had to go on a higher dose than I was on the last time I took Celexa.At my current dose I didn't feel any better until week six.Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.