I have been on citalopram for two weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on citalopram for two weeks following severe anxiety after my girlfriend Left me. Trying to hang on and be strong as I have a little girl but things are now getting worse. I cannot seem to sleep at night for more that 3 hours and am sweating so much my bed is litterally wet. Does anyone else experience these side effects after two weeks and how long do they last. I am so close to binning these pills. Thanks in advance

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Had same side effects - was vein incredibly sick every morning too but now to useful things for you - exercise is key get out and keep going. I found it incredibly helpful - try a sleeping tablet to help get back into a sleeping routine and read before sleep time and have a nice hot milky drink and perhaps a bath - all things to soothe you. Stay strong you can do this and it will get easier
    • Posted

Yep within about 2 days of taking an over the counter sleep aid - the keys are being positive - eating even if you don't feel like it your body needs it - drink plenty of water and get a routine. Friend recommended a bullet journal a basically fancy list but structure is what you need now - positive thoughts for you

• Posted

doc wont prescribe sleeping tablet i dont think,but what your describing is how i was off them,i sweat loads during the day as well as night,keep on them it will be ok they say up 2 6 weeks to get into the body proply,some people its quicker,took me about 4,ive been on them a few months now and the swetting at night has stopped,you will be fine sam trust me,stay strong and keep fighting the fight my friend
  • Posted

Hi didn't your doctor tell you that you can feel worse for a while until the drug gets into your system?  This is usually the case with any ad's. 

It will take around 4-6 weeks to start working so please persevere with it.  If the side effects are too much for you then go back to your doctor and ask for a change.  I had to try 2 others before I finally settled on sertraline which works well for me.   x

• Posted

I have just walked out of work. Rung my ex and told her to tell my lil girl I love her but daddy is weak and cannot do this. I cant stop crying I dont even have a stable home now. I have read comments where people have said the insomnia never goes? I am so so tired but cannot sleep
    • Posted

Sam you need to be strong - straight to doc's explain your are struggling they may change your prescription and may give you something to help you sleep. Promise it gets easier - get to Doc's

• Posted

Hi Sam, These are normal side effects to Citalopram and other SSRIs, they do not last forever just until your chemistry adapts to change of serotonin levels etc. Things will improve with medication and your life situation stay positive especially for your little girl. Time is a great healer when it comes to Love and losing a partner smile 

• Posted

Just an thank you to everyone who messaged me a few months back and just a little update. Me and my ex got back together in November but the anxiety was still there and other syptoms were worse like the rumination and the mild OCD. I have been on sertraline nearly 3 weeks and am feeling a heck of a lot better. Not as many side effects as citalopram for me. Thanks guys
    • Posted

Seriously thank you guys your advice was really good stuff . I have come a long way since August much love peeps keep doing what it doin cuz it advice maybe even saved my life xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.