I have been on Fluoxetine for a week and feel crazy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 49 and peri menopause has hit me like a train wreak I am having anxiety attacks, I cry all the time, I shake and worry about everything obsessively,I have heart palpatations, when it hits I feel so crazy and I can now understand why people take their own lives. I have been on Fluoxetine 20mg for 7 days and I really haven't had any change I feel so desperate to be my normal self. I am normally so strong and self confident. I pray every day for some relief but it hasn't come yet.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane, I'm sorry to her your feeling like this, and believe me I know how you feel as I also have been feeling the same and was prescribed fluoxetine 20 mg for depression and extreme anxiety, after taking these tablets I felt so much worse for the first couple of weeks. My symptoms was worse and all

My energy had been zapped, I just lay on the sofa day in day out letting the world pass me by in a daze. And like you I came on to this site desperate for some advice as I really thought things can't get any worse. Buy after taking some advice from members I worked through the agonizing 2.5 weeks and there was a little light at the end of the tunnel, just one day I woke up and I had some energy back, granted I only tidied up a little and made dinner, but it was so much more than I had felt like doing in a long time. Had this feeling for a couple of days then I had the tiredness hit me like a ton of bricks and remained on the sofa for the next couple of Days, but once I had energy again I was up and about for a few more days having the energy and the want to get out and so the "normal " things, I'm nearly 4 weeks into taking them and I still have bad days but it's getting better, so please hang in there I know you don't feel like it at the min but things will slowly get a little better, please keep in touch to tell me how your getting on ! The good or the bad ! 

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement Faye It is day 10 for me and I had a huge melt down this morning and my husband had to come home from work and pick me up of the floor. Its crazy how emotional and out of control I feel but I am hanging in their with the meds as I am hopeful that things will get better. I am at work now and just managimg to appear normal. Looking forward to a brighter future
  • Posted

Good morning Diane, My doctor prescribed me 10 mg of fluoxetine daily to help with severe night sweats due to menopause. He told me that the first week was going to be petty rough on the new meds but to stick it out and it would get better. He also mentioned that since I'm sensitive to meds normally that maybe I would be able to take it every other day. The first week was terrible - I felt like a zombie and got to the point where I was afraid to even drive because I wasn't sure I could make good decisions while driving. My appetite also increased along with other strange affects so I decided to try every other day. All of the side effects disappeared and the night sweats have gone away. I have energy and a better handle on the day.

What I'm trying to say is give it a chance. Also maybe talk to your doctor about 10 mg a day until you can tolerate that and then move up to the 20 mg if you need it. I couldn't even imagine how I would have been if I had started on 20 mg right away. Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Sonja thank you for your support and for sharing your experience as it helps to know that others understand just how hard these first weeks on Flu can be.
  • Posted

Hi Diane 

Boy do i know how you feel i started the menopause when i was 44 five years ago and its hit me hard, i have always been a happy-go-lucky person but before i knew it turned into to someone i hardly recognised, i have a lot to be thankful for 3 beautiful kids a lovely granddaughter and a good job but i couldnt drag myself out of a depression that started when i had a car accident, i was having a major hot flush which brought on a seizure and i crashed into a house (my mum died of a brain tumor at 58 so this made it worse) thank god no one was hurt and i was ok but i went to the drs and he started me on fluoxetine, the first two weeks are definately the worse i felt like a zombie most of the time and had some major side effects but im on week 7 now and although i still have the odd off day and get very tired things are better i even laughed so much i cried the other day something i havent done in years. there was times i was thinking about stopping them but im really glad i didnt so i would say stick with them diane when i went up to see my GP after 4 weeks he said it was very early days i think these ADS take a while to get into your system. good luck and please stay in touch i have found this site invaluable a real lifeline when things got back its nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same. sharon xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon You have certainly had a lot to deal with and I am so glad you are feeling better. I have only been on my meds for 10 days so I know I have to be patient, not always easy when you feel like the world is crashing in on you. It is so nice to beable to share with folk who understand what you are going through.
  • Posted

wow I am not a complete lunatic afterall I am 53 and have been mmenopausel for at least 2 years have just started on prozac and took myself off to the ED last night thought for sure i was having a heart attack but no just anxiety it is day 5 for me so i hope it seeltes soon I am Registered Nurse so am very dissapointed in myself and know that these drugs take a while to kick but that doesnt really help in the middle of the night having full blown anxiety attack 
  • Posted

hi diane 

just wobdering if things have settled for you I am now on day 10 and still waking with anxiety I get nausea and cannot eat i have lost about 4kgs in the last 3 weeks hoping things have improved for you  Kim 

• Posted

Hi Kim After day 15 my anxiety became so bad I couldn't get off the floor because i was shaking so bad. I was prescribed Clonazepam 0.5 mg and still continued my Fluoxtine 20mgs I pretty much slept for two days straight. the result is I am now fully functional and happy I feel like I am drunk alot of the time but that is nothing compared to the desperate mess I had become. Please see your doc and ask for some help with the side effects. Big hugs honey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.