I have been on gabapentin for several years. Need to know what others have experienced tapering off

Posted , 4 users are following.

I stated lowering my dose of gabapentin over a year ago. I have gone from 600mgs a day to 200mgs. In the last 6 months my leg muscles have felt very tight and I have a hard time walking far. Has anyone else experienced this type of things since tapering off this drug. I also have muscle aches in my arms and back.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi connie   gabapentin and pregabalin are from the same family of medication the tapering process of reduction is 5% to 10% over 3 to 4 weeks period  doctor don't tell you  the medication gives you that tiedness in the legs i have been worried myself about lack of feelings in the legs both medications have sodium  in it that acts has a nerve blocker gabapentin is more for pain . but the feeling in the legs do have a detremental affect on the legs.  i have to exercise to get feelings back . when i feel able to. but does work. if lowering go slow. and wish you well.

• Posted

Thank You for your response. ..  I am now gabapentin free.. If I walk and ride a bike plus stretch 2 or 3 times a day, I am seeing good results.. If I don't do this, the muscles go back to being tight and can't walk very far. So, unless something happens to prevent it, I am keeping to this plan. At times I am not sure if it is the withdrawal. I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and especially when very humid or in a cold area everything aches.. I will beat this though as I am determined..

Thanks Again

• Posted

Your aches and pains may be from you coming down with your gab.it is not a very nice thing that can happen to you when trying to come down with them. They can cause different things too your body when reducing them
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I am finally off of it. I have to exercise everyday plus do stretches. As long as I do, I am doping pretty well. There have been a few imes when I couldn't do that and I sure pay for it..

• Posted

Hi John I was just wondering have you heard of anybody that is experienced high blood pressure as they are lowering their dosage. The doctors had me on over 1800 mg of Gabapentin due to a severe back injury. I had surgery in March and had to have a blood clot removed in April. Since I have been trying to lower the Gabapentin because I feel this is some of my problems. If I went more than 8 hours without taking the Gabapentin I would start to feel withdrawals from it and this worry needs to be relieved. Since about a year ago I started having high blood pressure problems on and off. The doctors kept telling me the blood pressure problems were due to me being in severe pain. I'm just worried that it may be because of the Gabapentin.

If you could help could you please email me back. Thank you

• Posted

Hi cami

Doctor is right, if you are in severe pain it will cause your blood pressure to be high .Gabapentin should help ease the pain.

Your doctor should be able to give you tablets to help with it being high .

• Posted

Hi Connie

Yes I had the same problems.my legs would ache causing me being not able to walk too far😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.