I have been on mirtazapine for three weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

An the side effects are unrea! I have diarrhea foggy head can't concentrate dizzy no appetite. I've read blogs that say Mir is hard to get off ! What should I do take a half a pill for seven days then stop?feelig really bad!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would say that you are not getting along well with mirt, and get out while the getting is good!  You've probably seen posts about the horrible withdrawal coming off, so you'd be lucky to not get hooked.  You are having start up effects that are the same as withdrawal effects.  I would taper back down in the same amount of time that you have been on, a recommendation I am aware of from a withdrawal site.  I would take half for a week, and then a quarter for a week and then stop.  You can use a razor blade or fine scissors to approximate those dosages. 

• Posted

I'm coming off the fine, weight gain as prompted me to get off them down to 15mg Mon and down to 7.5 Wed as last night and cutting that in half with the next ta

blet, no side affects coming off them so far, just the weight gain from

Being on them has freaked me out

• Posted

Just a warning, Rosieogrady. When I tried reducing mirtazapine, the withdrawal effects hit me 2 weeks after the reduction.
  • Posted

Hi Tanya I came straight off them after 4months & 2weeks later went onto venlafaxine, I didn't find it to bad at all. I was on 30mg .. my pdr said just come off them ..my doc said I should of just taken half for a week or so.. the only WD I had was at night the time I would take it .. I felt pretty spaced out bt I was in bed so wasn't really a problem. Goodluck..

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice. Agitation is getting worse an so is diarrhea . Only taking half a tab now
    • Posted

Everyone is different in how they experiencing coming off. Some can just drop it and go on their way while others experience withdrawal with even small cuts.  You need to listen to your body and only cut when you feel stable enough.  Every three weeks is about as often as one should cut because it takes that long for the nervous system to respond to the cut and modify, adapt to the change.  Don't feel bad if you can't go as fast as some here have.

• Posted

Hi Betsy,i didn't want to stop immediately just in case I had withdrawal, unbelievably I have lost 3lbs since Monday without dieting, I've just naturally stopped eating less and I'm not hu try all the time particularly when the midnight munchies would kick in about an hour after taking the Mir,obviously now have interrupted sleep

sleep and not sleeping well again, but I have decided it's a small price to pay to get some sort of a figure back ??

• Posted

I didn't gain a lot of weight, about 10 lb., but it is not yet budging at 11.5 mg mirt.  It's just enough pounds over my ideal to make my clothes fit tight and look gross, and since I've had body-hate my whole life, I can't stand seeing the globiness.  Trying to be more accepting of my body, it isn't at fault here, but it's hard sometimes.  I grew up in a beach town where the beach bunny cute girls got all the attention, and I was a chunky teenager so self-esteem was in the tank.  

I can't go faster since I had protracted withdrawal from coming off Effexor last year, and my nervous system is very sensitized now to small changes.  I really feel WD if I cut faster.  So, I must exercise patience!  

I'm glad the weight is coming off for you RosieO!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.