i have been on prozac 20 mlg for 4vweeks a week ago my doctor increased it to 30mlg but i still feel

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on prozac 20 mllg for 4 weeks and 1 week of 30mlg.. i still feel depressed is that normal?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer.

You are only four weeks in. They say Six weeks is when you begin to feel a difference. Stick with it and give it time hun. I've been on them 15 years and they do work. Hope you feel some relief soon.

Helen. x

• Posted

You will do hun. I don't know your circumstances but I know what it's like to have depression. The cloud will suddenly lift with time. Be kind to yourself and rest as much as you can. Also some gentle exercise like a walk is good. When I was waiting for my six weeks ( or there abouts) to kick in I read a lot. It's difficult to focus on a book sometimes but it helps to train your mind to think of something else.

Hope this helps.

Helen. x

• Posted

Okay i will stick with it then and see how it goes... i never hurt to try to read... do u just have depression?
    • Posted

Because I'm on Fluoxetine I don't feel depressed but sometimes I can feel "down". Usually sometime through the monthly cycle. I mainly have anxiety now due to life's circumstances. We have been through a lot as a family over the years ( illnesses and loss ) And it has had its effect emotionally. 95% of the time I feel I can cope and I know that I wouldn't if I didn't have the help from the Fluoxetine.

Take care. If you need me to chat to, just post.

Helen.x

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. ..I am on week 6 I think... 20mg I too am waiting for it to kick in..... any day very soon would be great... I feel maybe slightly better some days

.Then I may have a reason to be sad..and I get very down again...very down..meh!

• Posted

Yes i heard it does take a while to kick in so im just trying to be patient with the meds... i have faith it will work...
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer

I am now on week 8 and have started to feel better. when I first started, I felt awful. my chest felt tight as ever. anxious. felt tired all day, kept yawning, even 2 cups of coffees did not help waking me up, there were few times I felt like my eyes could close at any second while driving; also lack of motivation. I was really annoyed that my GP did not warn me about these side effects at all. I was advised to take it in the morning, which I did follow for the last 7 weeks, but those side effects were real bad. So I thought last weekend I shoud try taking it in the late arvo/evening. pleased to say that I haven't been feeling as tired or lethargic like when I was taking them in the morning. my chest still feels a bit tight but not as bad. yesterday I felt so relaxed, haven't felt that relaxed for so long which feels really good,

give it time, it will work 

take care smile

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Yes im afraid that is normal in my experience, around 6-8 wks things improved more noticeably. It took me til around wk 12 to start feeling like myself again but I had medical stuff going on that was dragging me down.

Now at nearly 18wks I feel fantastic, much better than I have for a long time. I went through hell n back, lots of symptoms n side effects but I was feeling dreadful before so it was all worth it.

Dont expect too much too soon, if you expect to feel bad for a while anything better is a bonus. Make sure you do some exercise as this really helps.

Good lyck n I hope things brighten for you soon. Be kind to yourself.

Vix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.