I have been on Ramipril for 6 months now and have develo...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on Ramipril for 6 months now and have developed a really bad cough,is this the norm? I am paranoid about it, my doctor says give it time but I don't know if it is me but it seems to come on if I eat or drink anything. Now it is frightening me, please tell me if any of you experience this. sadsad

[i:6073528bff]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6073528bff]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem - dry cough. Ramperil is known for it. I asked for a change after six weeks. Been on Losartan ever since and no cough.

[i:4ef03deed4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4ef03deed4]

• Posted

I’m just coming from my GP which changed Ramperil to Losartan. Reason was dry couch, hot in the face, headache. Hop it would be fine.
  • Posted

Ramipril caused me a very tickly cough which often prevented me sleeping at night, driving me mad.

On a few occasions it I also had very long fits of coughing that ended in me not being able to breathe properly, which was very frightening. It was as if my windpipe had closed up. I couldn't draw air in for what seemed like ages. Although this had once happened to me prior to taking Ramipril and was dismissed by my uninterested doctor, it was only the once. Taking Ramipril caused the problem to resurface regularly though. After changing to Losartan, the coughing fits have gone.

• Posted

i've had same experience with terrible cough, so much so that I thought I was getting asthma or hayfever. I would cough so violently that i was coughing up flem that would choke me, and this has been happening about six times a day!! I am going to doctor tomorrow to try and get another medicine. I have been on Ramipril for 6 months.
  • Posted

three months ago the doctor changed my blood pressure medication to remipril, not long after i had the flu. After the flu it supposedly left me with a bad cough, this has got worse and i am now losing sleep and time off work. I went to see the same doctor last week and he gave me an asthma inhaler. Having another day off work today i had to see the only doctor who was available ( a different one). He heard me coughing and said it is a remipril cough, why had his colleague changed my medication to this. I told him i didnt know (but cheaper i assume!). todays doctor has told me to stop taking the remipril immeidately and see him again in 2 weeks. lets hope this solves it otherwise i think i will go mad......
  • Posted

I have been on Ramipril 2.5mg for 6 months also bu have not had any side effects at all. Are you on a higher dose than me? I would suggest you went back to your GP to discuss this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.