I have been overmedicated for about a year or so, PLEASE help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 48yo female that is 5'11" tall and weigh 123lb as of this morning. I had a complete thyroidectomy about 10 years ago.

My symptoms started August of 2019, but my thyroid doc never told me to lower my dose very much. On 11/6/18 my Free T4 was 2ng/dL (average 0.8-1.8) and Free T3 was 6.4pg/mL (average 2.3-4.2). At that time I was taking synthroid 175mcg and Liothyronine 10mcg (2- 5mcg pills). He just told me to cut my Lio down to only 1- 5mcg pill. He did not test me again until 11/16/19, and my Free T4 was 2.1ng/dL (even higher than the year before), and Free T3 was 5pg/mL (not as high but still above average). I asked him about this being high, and he tells me "you always feel better on the higher side". My symptoms at that time is that I have had close to daily diarrhea and have been losing weight fast, Heart palpitations, sweating at night, overly emotional, my brain feeling foggy (can't concentrate on anything), overly emotional, severe cramping, muscle aches for no reason, list goes on. I feel SO stupid because I did not figure out the overmedication was my problem, I guess I relied to much on my doc? When I weighed myself and saw I was 121, I freaked out! I have NEVER been this thin! When this all started I was about 145lb-150lb, which is great for my height. I made myself pay attention and search what was wrong with me, then I found the symptoms for overmedication and I thought "What?? Finally I can get better!" Well 4 weeks ago I stopped the Liothyronine and cut my synthroid down to 125mcg per day. It did start to help all of my symptoms to lower, and I even gained about 3-4lb! Then the diarrhea started again. I have read that my body can store the synthroid, could that be why? In the last 2 days I have lost over a pound. I am scared to eat anything because it could make me have to run to the bathroom. I have had blood tests and even an ultra sound on my intestinal track about 2 months ago, and everything is fine. It HAS to be the T4 speeding up my digestion.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for me to feel better? As of last Saturday (4 days now) I cut myself down to 87.5mcg of synthroid per day, and I did a thyroid test (TSH, Free T3, and Free T4) last saturday. I am waiting for the results.

Is this just that I have been overmedicated for so long that T4 is stored in my fat and muscles and I just need to wait? I don't know if I can take this much longer, my quality of life has been horrible for the last year.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Sara I was severely overmedicated through most of 2018 and diagnosed with iatrogenic hyperthyroidism in January of 2019. Iatrogenic hyperthyroidism is Doctor induced meaning the doctor gave you too much medicine to take. the doctor treating me for this told me it takes many many months for your body to sort things out after being overmedicated. I am now at 20 months and have noticed a very slow shift in symptoms . It has been debilitating and horrible. Are you still following this post? It looks like it's a couple months old. I am happy to share more details of my journey. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Wow, there is actually a term for this. I have been searching for dosage guidelines for iatrogenic hyperthyroidism - I found nothing. There is loads of talk to avoid it, but nothing on how to actually correct it. So frustrating.

Thanks Sandy! At least now I have a search term.

• Posted

Hey Sara, how are you feeling now? I've been overmedicated for a few months and its been 3 weeks since my dose lowered. still suffering with a ton of symtoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.