I have been prescribed cipro

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, i have some sort of stomach inflammation and a high CRP indicating a infection. I have cramps and a bloated stomach. The doctor prescribed me ciprofloxacin for 5 days and i am afraid because i read a lot of bad reviews about this antibiotic and i never took it before. What should i do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones have a lot of bad reviews because, for some people, they cause serious adverse reactions which can be very long lasting or even permanent. Many people experience side effects without realising what caused them as they often don't start until maybe weeks after you've finished taking it.

I can't tell you not to take it but I wouldn't! I don't know which country you are in but the EU have just severely restricted the use of fluoroquinolones and the USA restricted them 2 years ago.

I'm not even sure what you mean by stomach inflammation and possible infection. If it is an infection caused by some bad food then usually doctors let nature take its course and just make sure the patient doesn't become dehydrated. Do you have vomiting and diarrhoea? Antibiotics are generally only used in the most serious cases.

If your doctor suspects something like H.Pylori (which can cause ulcers), the treatment is antibiotics but first you have to be tested for this. Perhaps get a second opinion of what your problem actually is? If it is definitely something that needs an antibiotic perhaps ask for a different one - say you're allergic to fluoroquinolones.

• Posted

the reviews freaked me out so bad i never took it i went back and asked for something else

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.