I have been prescribed Doxazosin 1 mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm already on Losartan 100 mgs and Indipamide 1.5 for hypertension. Yesterday my gp added yet another; Doxazosin 1 mg. I'm going to have to completely overhaul my diet and exercise regime as I don't want yet another blood pressure tablet.

I've just read a horror list of side effects to Doxazosin. I'm not taking that to give me more fatigue (on top of my already chronic fatigue) dizziness and swollen ankles. I do a lot of walking with the dogs in the countryside so its not as if I'm idle.

Would be grateful to hear of anyone's experience of their side effects to taking Doxazosin.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any experience with alpha blockers, but I do have experience with resistant high BP, my own - and my mother had more, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

What kind of BP readings are you getting, that seem to call for another drug?

Are you on any kind of a diet?

Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties.

• Posted

Hello, thanks for your reply. My BP readings range from 140/95 to 170/100. My diet is healthy'ish with minimal sugar and very limited processed foods. I also exercise most days walking dogs.

I think one of my parents probably had resistant high BP too. Any suggestions? What are you taking, and do they cause side effects? I don't need swollen ankles as a side effect which Doxazosine lists.

• Posted

I'm currently taking olmesartan (ARB), atenolol (beta blocker), and occasional HCTZ (diuretic).

I am taking a reduced amount of turmeric/curcumin because it is an MAOI and the "cheese effect" was further raising my BP, sometimes by a lot. And I try to avoid the tyramine foods that are involved in the cheese effect (search for more info).

Have you tried the beta blocker? I take a very small dose of the atenolol because (a) it works, and (b) larger dose makes me feel like I've been hit in the head by an anvil.

• Posted

I'm sorry to have missed your msg 5 months ago, thanks for replying. I'll look in to turmeric/curcumin as an option. I started taking my Doxazosin 1 mg five days ago and feel permanently exhausted now. I think this is the wrong medicine for me as I suffer chronic fatigue as a condition. Back to the drawing board!

• Posted

Jane - NO! Do not take turmeric/curcumin, that may raise your BP. It is not a treatment for BP. It is something you have to eliminate, if you are having BP problems!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.