I have been prescribed Fluxotine 20mg and I am nervous start.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there I am 30 year old female and have recently been prescribed fluxotine (20) for depression and anxiety.  I really struggle with my emotions and I go into complete meltdowns / anxiety attacks at the smallest problems. I really struggle at times and can become very low. I am a bit nervous about starting the medication I am worried I'll have side affects, feeling like a zombie, feeling like I'm on something. Am I just over thinking? Any advice or tips would be great! Really want to give them a try! 

Thanks

Jeri  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

take them at night if uve never ad them before they will highten ur anxiety n low mood for at least 8weeks while they get in ur system like all meds there are side effects but some dont have any some do all u can do is try sweety anxiety is vial it brings u dwn makes u low but it does get better x
    • Posted

Thanks Emzielou, I think I'm just going to go for it. I was prescribed anti depressants when I was 21 and they were horrible think that's what's putting me off. 

• Posted

I'm in the process of tapering off. Been under control of SSRI's and there side effects and brain issues. Knowing what I know now, I would never have taken an ssri. If your on Facebook, go to a group called Prozac should be illegal and read the files and know what your getting into. Also alot of advice to do besides getting what I feel is a poison. Awesome your being proactive and looking out before getting on it. Cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation, diet, supplements like magnesium etc. My advice, stay away from SSRI'S and psychiatrists who will always prescribe a pill. Hope this helps and I know how it feels.

• Posted

ive just cum off mine nw my minds clearer im just learning to manage my panic attacks n anxiety wat do u suggest like herbal wish as in vitamins etc ? its hard but id rather av a clear head an cope than av a foggy head i had on them too
    • Posted

Take passion flower supplements and valarain root to help sleep. Calms my anxiety a lot.

That and camomile tea is helpful.

• Posted

Hi Jeri! 

I know exactly how you feel, I'm starting fluox next week for the exact same reasons  after Iv been weaned off my current medication. I'll be starting with 10mg for the first week then going on to 20mg 

I'm also nervous about the side effects as Iv heard several different things, but I have heard that this is one of the best to be on! Either way your not alone, we can do this! 

B x 

• Posted

Hi there! Aw that's good glad I have someone in my shoes how are you feeling about taking them? I think I'm just going to go for it and try them! X

• Posted

I'm nervous but happy to go for it! And looking forward to hopefully seeing the results I want. 

I was first put on sertralin (I think that's how you spell it..) and that helped me soooo much! I remember been so scared to take it because it was the first thing I had taken to help me deal with my issues, my side effects included tiredness and slightly sick feeling and lasted 2 weeks but we're pretty bare able!  The only problem was they made me gain a lot of weight which was really difficult for me and I felt that had a negative impact on getting better. So my dr is now switching me. 

It's always good to hear other people's stories and get their opinions however you really will never know until you try it for yourself, everybody experiences these things completely different! So take everything you read with a pinch of salt smile x

• Posted

I took it a number of years ago with no side side effects. and it worked beautifully.  I have found that how well an antidepressant works is very much an individual matter.
  • Posted

Hello.

All I can say is that you won't know what side effects you get until you start sadly. SSRI's come with risks but some are more tolerable than others.

Personally I had a very bad experience on fluoxetine and I would never touch it again. 15 days on it, I was numb beyond belief, couldn't stop sweating, shaking, vomiting / running the toilet, anxiety through the roof! Heart ripping out my chest. Insomnia. My legs and arms were actually burning with pain. The list goes on. Ended up in A&E who took me off it cold turkey and gave me fluids / a lot of diazepam, I was a mess. It took 3 months to level out and withdrawal was bad. I lost about 2 stone in the process.

Fluoxetine has a long half life (15 days ish) so affects your body for a very long time.

Very reluctantly I swapped to Sertraline (50mg) and the difference was day and night. I had no mental side effects, no numbing or personality change, no increased anxiety. Just a sense of calm and clarity and a generally clearer mind to tackle my issues. They are not "happy pills" as often thought, they just made it easier for me to dismiss the negative / racing thoughts. I took that for around 6 months fine and it helped a lot to control my emotional health during a difficult time.

Just trust your instincts if the tablet isn't working after 7 days, please don't push yourself to the 4-6 week mark were the therapuic dose is meant to kick in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.