I have been prescribed propranolol to try out for anxiety, but I don't want to use it daily

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Recently, I went to the GP to discuss my anxiety as now that I am in university, my symptoms have been getting worse. As I was very hesitant about using drugs, my GP suggested trialing it for 3 weeks which I intend to do, however, ideally, I would like to use it before stressful situations rather than daily as my anxiety is more situational than constant (even when it feels constant, I can deal with it).

My GP said it was recommended to take daily but I would like to know if it is possible to take it when needed (after the 3 weeks trial for me to see if it works)?

Thank you 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello 

You are right to be hesitant. I was put on propanonol daily as well by my doctor and realized that it was doing more damage, i.e. Increasing heart palpitations. So take it only every other day in intervals and then every other 2 days until u gradually don't require it anymore: Also anxiety is a function of different things. Natural remedies and life style changes are the best. Firstly identify the cause of what is making u anxious, and tell urself that "this too will pass". Spirituality and meditation also helps. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi

I know this is really late, but I just wanted to know if going off the propranolol was easy for you! I'm currently trying to go off of it by trying the same method you described (i took 60mg time release) and this is my first day not taking it & i feel awful. I'm going to take it tonight, but how was your experience? Did you feel bad on the days you didn't take it?Or was it pretty much seamless? How long did you do this? 

• Posted

Hello Bren, 

Sorry to hear you feel awful. Going of it gradually is not supposed to make u feel worse so if the reverse is the case for u, then I suggest u stay on it. Try reducing dosage to 30g but take daily. Just always bear in mind that propanonol is not meant to be taken permanently. 6 weeks maximum 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.