I have been recently diagnosed with Asthma at 60, never had any sort of chest issues as all.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have come to reside in Northern Ireland after living for last 20 years in Denver, Colorado, a mile high altitude, where I was a very active person, I am wondering if coming from such a dry environment, a mile high to sea level in a much more humid environment could have any role in this adult onset of Asthma

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Iris,

I also was diagnosed with Asthma at a similar age,  after getting a virus on holiday but I am now living in Oxfordshire which is damp, which doesn't help.  Did you catch a bug first?  

I don't get symptoms except when I'm ill really or sports.  I should think the change of climate hasn't helped.  Years ago a health visitor told me that changing counties let alone countries exposes you to new germs so that you catch everything going until your immune system gets used to the new location.  

• Posted

Hi Iris

Sorry to hear that you now have asthma that must have come as a bit of a shock. I presume that you have have had a test to confirm that it is asthma. Have you been given any medication yet? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.