I have been suffering ever since I started taking bisoprolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I was on bisoprolol for 5 years for AF and had no problems at all. Then I had a bad attack of fast AF and was taken into hospital where I was prescribed Sotolol 180 mg. That was 2 years ago and then all of a sudden my cardiologist decided to put me back on bosoprolol 2.5 mg. That was 8 weeks ago and I have had stomach pain, nausea, trembling and sweating ever since. My doc has tested me for various things which showed normal results. Has anyone else suffered like this please. I am thinking of asking my GP to put me on Carvedilol which has been suggested or Slozem. any advice please would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Although they say I have AF,  I do not know what people mean when they say they had an attack of AF,   I just carry on the same day after day, my pulse rate at the docs the other day was 88 is that ok
    • Posted

with AF your heart beat is very strong and irregular and if you also have Atrial Flutter like I do then it feels like a little bird or something fluttering around in your chest. Your pulse rate should be between 60 and 80 so thats not too bad. When I was taken into hospital with AF my pulse rate was bordering on 200. hope this helps
    • Posted

There are so many reactions to AFib.  My husband went into permanent AFib for five years and had very little awareness of it.   He is now cured following  a successful ablation.  In my own case, I have had it for just over three years and I got 'attacks' of it (called paroxysmal AFib) maybe every six weeks or so, and I was very aware of it as I always felt breathless, pounding pulse and felt very ill during the hours it lasted.  My ablations failed and I now have a pacemaker and have also had the AV node ablated to mitigate the symptoms as I will always have AFib, if not permanent AFib as time goes on.  I will have to take lifelong anti coagulation but the rest of the time I manage my own medication, taking Flecainide at the onset of a bout and that so far settles it back.  My pacemaker records that I have a lot of minor arrthythmias, but I don't feel those.

So you see, it is mostly different for each individual.  It sounds like you have the paroxysmal type, ie bouts or attacks of it and no doubt you are on Warfarin or similar as a safeguard.  The main thing is that treated AFib is not life threatening, although it can make you feel ill from time to time.

• Posted

Actually Charles, it sounds more like the type my husband had, when he was mostly totally unaware of it, except of course that his pulse was irregular all the time.
    • Posted

My  anticoagulant is Rivaroxaban which is the same as warfarin ,

only one tablet a day.

thanks for your reply.

• Posted

If you suspect that any drug is actually making you feel ill, then you should revisit your GP and complain and ask for the same medication which did suit you.  It is possible it is not the Bisoprolol as your symptoms are a little different from many of those we usually discuss, but it is more than a coincidence.  Just ask for a drugs review and tell him of your problems.
    • Posted

So Charles, as long as you are being anti coagulated, then you are safe from harm until you get things sorted long term.  It can be a long and frustrating path sometimes as I well know.  I have reached the end of all tried and tested ways of cure and I now just man up and get on with it, enjoying the good times which are now much more frequent.  Sometimes I feel a little envious of my husband who was cured first ablation after almost seven years of AFib and is far from young.... Well that's the luck of the draw!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.