I have been suffering from svt for a six months and need your opinion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 47 years old and exercise hard daily, my only health problems are High Blood pressure hereditary which I have been taking Metoprolol ER 50 since 1994 to control and now because of a very low HDL cholesterol they have me on a statin to get LDL as low as possible. I have been suffering from SVT for a six months, it started with very short episodes, about 20 seconds or less maybe a few times a month, I went to my cardiologist and he put me on the ZIO patch for 2 weeks, they caught 4 episodes 20 seconds or less he said to just monitor it and said I am already on the beta blocker so I should be ok, he sent me to the Electrophysiologist to just go ahead and talk with her. I went in and she had the same opinion, she said just go out and live your life. That night I went out to dinner and got a little carried away and had about 5 drinks. I woke up the next day feeling off so I took a wellness supplement I had and it had some herbs in it that are stimulating I think. I then went to the gym and about half way thru my weight lifting routine SVT hit me even on a beta blocker, I tried bearing down and coughing, nothing worked I drove to the ER and walked in, I was feeling pretty dizzy at this point and panicky. They had to give me Adenosine to stop it and took blood, I was a tiny bit low on Potassium. They increased my Metoprolol to 75mg which I couldn't handle, I can't believe I have handled 50mg for over 20 years and exercised heavily, I do get dizzy sometimes. I saw the Electrophysiologist? and she wants to do the Ablation saying it will just come back again, she is very well regarded in my area. I scheduled the ablation and canceled as I wanted to think about it more. In the last two months since the ER visit I have cut way back on Alcohol which I do miss having a few drinks and have not been out doing as much as i like to but I  had only one short episode that went away on its own. I also on the advice of the Electro doc I went and got a sleep test and it showed I have mild central sleep apnea and they are going to give me a cpap. I went back to the Electro doc and told her about the sleep apnea and if she still advises the Ablation, she said  because she can't give me more meds, my heart rate gets as low as 41 while sleeping and she said the svt hides out and will just come out again at the worst time. I am very nervous about the procedure. I would like to cut down on the beta blocker as I do realize it has affected me all these years and I do worry about getting a SVT episode again almost every day and I am avoiding doing certain things worrying it will bring on a episode. What do you guys think. After one extended episode should I just go in and get the ablation or hold off. Any opinions would help. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I have had svt for over 20 years now. It is a very scary condition because as you stated, you never know when it will happen. I have chosen not to have an ablation because after much research, I believe it is only about 50% cure rate and not the 90 to 95% most EP state. At the most I only have two or three episodes a year and sometimes they go away on their own and sometimes I do have to go to the ER and get adenosine. If the episodes were to become more frequent and were inhibiting my life more, I would at that point, consider the ablation. Alcohol, as you now know, is a huge trigger, as is too much caffeine, too much stress, and for me, eating too many sweets and large meals. I have read several testimonies of people totally eliminating svt through diet. At one point I went five years without an episode. I can't really pinpoint why that was. After five years, I had an episode when I was going through a very stressful period in my life and now continue to have periodic episodes. I now use the "pill in the pocket" of diltiazem. I was told to take four when I first start the episode. I had not had and episode in ten months, but recently did. I immediately took the pills and then went and layed by a wall and put my legs straight up the wall. I had read other people have had success with this. As soon as I did this, my heart rate started to go down and within a couple of minutes the episode was over. Obviously this was not the pills becuase they hadn't had time to take affect. Each of us must make our own decision about ablation, and at one point I scheduled and then cancelled. Many people continue to have problems after the ablation. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, it is a hard decision, I saw the Doctor on Friday and she said call her when I am ready. I want to be able to live life and go wine tasting or go on vacation when I want to without wondering where a ER is but i only have had one episode that wouldn't go away, I assume the Metoprolol makes my episodes less frequent. My main concerns about the ablation are that she won't be able to trigger it or it won't work and I go through it all for nothing. Or things get worse, I end up with a pacemaker or some other complication. I have struggled with anxiety and panic for years and coming off the Metoprolol for the procedure and then being awake while I am injected with adrenaline and my heart speeding up will be really hard for me in particular. How do you guys deal with staying calm during a svt attack? My body's reaction is to get the fight or flight and get panicky. Also for the patients that had the ablation how anxiety producing was it when they start playing with your heart to induce the SVT? I really appreciate the feedback, I have been thinking about it all the time, it is such a hard decision to make.

• Posted

I’m 25 and had an ablation April 2017, I didn’t have lots of episodes but it caused me a lot of stress as I suffer with anxiety and depression. I couldn’t handle the fear of having more episodes. I decided to go for the ablation and I have been free from SVT and medication for a year now. It was the best decision I ever made! I have a whole new lease of life. 

I think you have to think if you can live with it or not. 

The procedure itself is nothing to worry about I hardly felt a thing and it was over with in 2 hours. 

Good luck with whatever decision you make, all the best for your future! 

• Posted

Thanks, It is such a hard decision, as I have not had a episode in a while but I know it will come back at some point. It would be nice to just have it gone but the procedure gives me a lot of anxiety thinking about it.
  • Posted

Still debating it everyday, anybody else have a story good or bad to tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.