I'have been suffering from Trigeminal Neuralgia for 3 years,pls suggest me the curing methods

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am posting behalf of my father .he is 52 years old.now he has been suffering from TN,the pain will be in his lower jaw , pain will be coming like electric shock, Our Doctors Suggested to go for Neural surgery, i would like to go for Second option, what are the possible Tratement Options for TN and if he undergoes for neural surgery what are the chances of getting Side effects on body please let me know what is success rate of the neural surgery for TN. Thanks in Advance. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

has your father been sent for an MRI scan? What medication has your father been prescribed? If this didn't work has he tried other remedies?

Ive had TN on and off for over twenty years and my Dr put me on Tegretol and I've had that up until I retired. When TN came back unfortunately Tegretol didn't work for me so now I'm on Pregabalin and so far so good.

Tegretol is the best in my opinion but not everybody can tolerate it.

Personally I think your father should try other medication first before resorting to operations.

Let us know how he gets on.

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi Gloriana , my father has been sent for MRI Scan ,my father had been using backlof,gabaltin for last 2 years.
    • Posted

Hi,

Is your father getting any pain relief from his medication? If not he should try the Tegretol as that is the best in my opinion. Let us know how he gets on.

Gloriana

• Posted

I understand it's 95% success rate and I've had TN for 1year and I'll have the op asap and seeing the pain clinic next week. The op doesn't fase me what so ever, a cure is cure and why not right?
    • Posted

Hi Rachis, I wish u very all the best for ur operation and i hope u will be fine  after ur op.but my concern is how abt side effects??
    • Posted

Maybe some numbness or none as I understand it no more pain and your back to normal.
  • Posted

Hello Anaamika, I am sorry to hear of your father's plight, it is indeed a dilemma.

On the one hand a rhizotomy surgery will definitely get rid of the terrible pain, but on the other there is the possibility of side-effects. Please give very careful consideration to the possible side effects, I have posted my story on this site many times because of my own experience. About twenty years ago I had TN, had surgery and it was a complete success with no side effects whatsoever. I think it was an MVD operation. Unfortunately the TN returned a couple of years ago. I went on the usual medications but they had no effect at all. Because of the successful operation all those years ago I had no hesitation in asking for it again. I had the surgery about 15 months ago, it was a rhizotomy this time (nerve is crushed).

I understood that there would be a numbness of the lower jaw and possibly some drooping of the jaw as well as a result of the rhizotomy. Regrettably, the situation turned out far worse than that. I have the numb jaw as expected, but I also have a soreness in the jaw, mouth, teeth and tongue (all left side). I also have a dry left eye which needs constant lubrication by way of drops or ointment. My taste sensation is reduced as a result. I was told there should be some improvement after a year or eighteen months so am still hoping. When I had my last consultation I was told that I had developed a condition called "Anasthesia Dolorosa" which has no known medical cure. I am now taking more medication than ever (Nerontin and Lyrica) and have also tried acupuncture but no joy there either. I am told that it is only about 5% chance of this happening and I do not want to put you off surgery, however all I can do is to alert you to this possibility and to say that if I knew all this in advance I would not have the surgery that I had before exploring every other possibility including non-medical etc. Whatever you decide I wish your father all the best.

• Posted

Hi,I am sorry about your situation and i can understand how much pain you are having now, coz even i had seen my father 's Situation.I want to look for possible alternative options rather than  Surgery.I wish u very Speed recovery form ur Problem.
    • Posted

How long after the mdv op were you pain free?
    • Posted

Do you have any coping methods or tips for us?
    • Posted

Hello RachisCool, I had the mvd surgery in 1993 and was totally pain free until 2012.That was 19 years pain free, a great result. When the TN returned I went on Tegretol but it did not agree with me so switched to Lyrica. Still had the pain so I had a friend perform Reiki therapy. This was successful and the pain stayed away for about a year. I had the Reiki again then but it did not work at all, neither did Lyrica so I had the surgery then.

As regards coping with my current post-op problems I have not had any success at all. As stated in my original posting to Anaamika I am now on Lyrica and Neurontin but they don't make much difference. I also tried Acupuncture but no good either. Sorry I can't offer anything better.I know you are planning to have the surgery yourself (presume it's the MVD). My second op was quite different insofar as it was a Rhizotomy, i.e. the nerve was cut or crushed. Please make sure to discuss these options in detail with your surgeon particularly with regard to the after effects. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi. I had mvd in 2009. pain free for 6 years but problems with my ears. slight numbness of my rt jaw. But it is livable. Then in 2013 I got meningitis. i recovered from it. Then 3 weeks ago I got it again. Just home from hospital, recovering. Is it connected???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.