I have been suffering on and off since Christmas what can I do

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed in 2016 had a bad flare up at Christmas now it seams I am feeling bloated all the time ether can't go to the toilet or can't stop Its really getting me down I don't know what to eat or not to eat. Can anyone suggest anything x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I just found this thread.  Did you find a resolution?  I had the same problem, but had surgery four weeks ago and feeling wonderful!
    • Posted

My consultant told me they don't operate unless really bad in the UK I don't know how much longer I can put up with it. I am having a bad day today so can't go out. We're did you have your operation. I am glad it went well and you are feeling ok x

• Posted

Oh so sorry to hear that Susan.  I am in the US and had my surgery 4 weeks ago.  Feeling fab.  I have just posted about my experience before and after surgery.  Let me see if I can find it now.  Not sure it posted.

• Posted

Here in the US and in Australia (my previous home), they say if you've had more than 3 diverticulitis attacks in a year, you have to have surgery.  I do know how you must be feeling.  It's awful.  

• Posted

What sort of pain are you having? Diverticulitis is not to be mucked around with.  It can be very serious.  Also, how many attacks have you had in the last year or was Christmas your first attack?  Have you been on antibiotics etc?  So sorry for your suffering.
    • Posted

Christmas was my first really bad one was put on strong antibiotics. The pain comes and goes i take paracetamol for it if it gets to bad I will go back to GP Thank you for your concern I really appreciate it x
    • Posted

I am planning surgery in the next few months.  I have had 6 attacks since June 2016.  I am very nervous about the post op period.  Did you have to have a nasal gastro tube and a catheter?  Having to deal with that stuff makes me more nervous than the surgery because at least I'll be asleep. How long were you in the hospital?

• Posted

Susan, I'm having the EXACT same thing! I have no ideal what and what not to eat and it is very very depressing! Sorry I am no help!  I am newly diagnosed too!

• Posted

I know how you feel it's really getting me down. I am afraid to eat certain things just incase it sets me off I stay in most days due to maybe needing toilet. I used to go out everyday before. Thankyou for your post it helps to know there are others out there x

• Posted

Hi Susan,have you tried the Fybogel.its a fiber supplement to take with water ,it helps with constipation and diahroea so regulates your bowel . 
    • Posted

The Drs was going to give me some but I have albran every morning so trying that first. I am going to make an appointment to see the Drs in a couple of weeks and talk to them about it. Thankyou for your post.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,i found the All Bran hard on my digestion and found the Fybogel better whch is soluble fiber which is easier and better for diverticulosis.It does work better for me
    • Posted

Thankyou. I will ask my Drs for some and try it x
  • Posted

I just recommended this to another post. Probiotics help tremendously for the diarrhea. I take Acidophilus which has 2 billion lives cultures. It puts "friendly bacteria" back into your system. You do not need a prescription for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.