I have been suffering with pain since my hip replacement. But they say I'm fine?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had one hip replacement in 2013. I had bone against bone on both hips. I had the left one done first. I was ecstatic about having the other one done because it went very well. I didn't have much pain at all after the healing process. Before I could get back to have the other one done my mom developed dementia. She went down fast and our whole family pitched in to keep her out of a nursing home. The Doctor that did my first surgery retired. He referred me to another doctor that was supposed to be as good as him. During the consult with this doctor he told me that he had a new procedure that was less invasive and it would be faster healing. I asked this doctor would it be the same as the other one. He said yes. I said are you sure? He reassured me that it would be great. The first doctor went in from the side. This other doctor went in from the front of my thigh. I knew from the first week that something was wrong. I had the reference from the other hip surgery. Since April 29 of 2015 I have been in so much pain. One leg is shorter than the other and left me with a deep limp. I can't walk without my walker because the pain gets so much worse. I'm experiencing sharp pain in the upper thigh area and the pain is getting worse everyday. But let them tell it I'm fine. If i don't take the pain meds I'm bed bound. Smh what can I do? Also the second doctor put screws everywhere. Please share anything you can to help. Thank u.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Oh my Gale, what a horrible situation!  If I were you, I would look to find a second opinion from the best ortho doc that does hips that I could find.  Pain like that is not normal for so long, I don't believe.  Was there a reason that this 2nd doc put screws everywhere?  What was the reason for that?

• Posted

How horrible I agree that the best plan would be to find a surgeon with a proven track record of successful hip revisions. Might also save other people grief if Gale could update her first surgeon!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Went to another surgeon concerning my problem. Rush in Chicago. Dr H told me he didn't see anything in the X r a y s and iu looked fine. Then b4 I left his office he said I would be very careful about having it done over. The first right total hip replacement was done at NWH by Dr Manning. He screwed everything down. He told me this procedure was better and it was less invasive. Now I believe their sticking together but my pain is real.

• Posted

Gale, where is the crux of your pain?  Is it in your hip itself?  Your leg?  Your buttox?   I'm just wondering if this could be coming from your back?  They are all connected you know.  Has anyone taken xrays of your lower back?  I know it sounds crazy, but I'm just wondering if the pain could be radiating or what they call 'inferred' pain.  I do know that my right knee, ankle etc is often in pain. (the right hip is the hip not yet done that needs to be done)  The ortho told me that 80% of the pain in my knee was coming from my hip, and MAYBE 20% was my knee. Not sure if he knows what he's talking about, because they have yet to take xrays of my right knee, so??  I also know that when they were taking xrays of my LEFT hip (the one already done last Sept) they happened to xray part of my lower back.  He then told me there was arthritis in my lower back that he could see from the xray.  I guess I'm just taking a shot in the dark with your pain and trying to figure it out.  Also........have you had any physical therapy?  (don't remember reading if you had therapy and for how long) 

• Posted

Yes I had 12 weeks of therapy. And due to the THR on my left hip It was and is not my first rodeo. My left HR went marvelous. I walk in about 6 mos with just a little discomfort. By the year mark I was like hey Imma be great when the other one gets done. And yeah u do have some back issues. But the pain I am experiencing now is very different from my back problems. From the top of the incision down to my knee i did not have. From the top of the the hip in the bending of my thigh I did not have. Down the outside of my outer leg on the RT side I did not have. From the inner and top thigh muscle that locks up when I've over done activity I did not have. The burning sensation at the meaty part that connects my thigh to my lower torso i did not have before this hip replacement. So please miss me with the therapy foolishness. It is not suppose to do this. And the inch in length, therapy will fix that too. 2yrs 4 mos and I'm still having problems with this hip and it isn't getting any better. Thanks.

• Posted

hi Gale, 

Warm welcome to this  forum - Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good ..

You had your 2nd THR surgery in April of 2015 ?  When was the last time you saw your ortho-surgeon?

Was it the Anterior approach the 2nd time?  

I agree with previous responses and get a 2nd opinion as soon as possible ... preferrably an OS at another hospital group ...

I am sorry to hear about your mom ... that must have been really hard for you to deal with ...

please come back here and let us know how you are getting on, okay -

take care

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Gale,

I also agree that you should get another opinion from the best Ortho surgeon you can find! That is just plain unacceptable to have such pain for the past two years!

I also would like to know if you had the anterior approach done. It sounds like it from what you described. That being said, I'd also like to know if anyone else on this forum has had the anterior approach and have they had similiar problems? I'm having the anterior approach May 15th, so needless to say I'm getting a little freaked out hearing these stories!

Thank you and good luck Gale. I truly hope you find resolution to this, as it is just not right to have to continue in so much pain!

Betty

• Posted

Dear Gale

I am so sorry to hear all that has been happening for you. I have not had similar experience but do believe a second opinion is warranted in situations like yours. You situation should be better not worse so try to stay strong, insist on a second opinion and then be able to get your life back on track. Very best wishes to you. Keep us posted how you get on. Will be thinking about you.

• Posted

I am not at all in that kind of situation, I am so hopeful that you find releif.
  • Posted

Dear Gale ,that is horrible situation. If were you i go to another doctor for second opinion. Pain like this is not normal. Did you have MRI?

Take care and look for another doctor please. I have left hip done 10 of October 2016 and right one hopefully soon.

Hug MADLLA 💗

• Posted

Gale here im again. Im leg disripency 1.3 to 1.5 cm after first hip replecement .i put insole in my shoes to have a balance it help with balance and

pain with another hip and low back. Did you try this ? Absolutely find the doct9for second opinion. Hopefully they will make my legs same lengs

after second hip when will be done. Without insole i will be in pain

because limp. Gale this forum is so great and helpful i would not go tr9 with my first hip replecement.

Good luck Madla💗

• Posted

Get a reputable second opinion! It doesn't sound right at all.

• Posted

Dear Gale

Since responding a few days ago I've read your original post again and one thing really stood out for me. Why was it considered necessary to as you say to put screws everywhere? What are these screws there to do?

You have mentioned that your legs are now different lengths, what is the leg difference?

All the best

Richard

• Posted

This is what I want to know as well RichardKen.  WHY all the screws?  I've never heard of that before.

• Posted

Dear Terri

All that I can think is that the surgeon damaged her femur. I may be wrong but I perhaps the surgeon used the less invasive technique that is promoted to provide a faster recovery. If that is the situation my understanding is that there is reduced working space which may have been a bit of a problem.

Regardless of the method I would think the screws holds the key to the reason for the pain now being felt.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Oh boy, well, yes that sounds like a logical possibility.  In that case, I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what they could do about that.  I do know that when my daughter had back surgery for a hairline fracture in her spine they not only put a plate in her back, but they put a screw in her hip.  She didn't have any pain or problems AFTER the initial healing, which of course took some time.  But down the road she did just fine, so ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.