I have been taken Prednisolone for 4years now what do I do

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have been on Prednisolone for 4 years now and i have been off and on with the drug because of my skin infection i was have which have finally stop recently i took high drug of it n stop and now my doctor said i have to reduce that i cant stop like that so I'm on 15mg now but I'm have serious side effect of the drug which i haven't experienced before weekness of the body irregular heartbeat as if i want to give up loss of appetite I'm so scared and worried i don't know what to do I'm i going to keep experience this until i finish reducing the intake of the drug

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Do you have polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)? Is that why you are taking pred?

I have atrial fibrillation - one form of irregular heartbeat - but it is not due to pred even though a lot of doctors would say that was the reason, it is due to the autoimmune part of the PMR. I have medication that helps but it is there and isn't entirely gone away. You do get used to it eventually! When it is happening it does make you feel tired - but I can't say it stops me wanting to eat - I wish! About 10% of people over 65 have a/f - it can start younger though so it may just be you are someone with a tendency to have a/f and the pred makes it noticeable.

When you take pred it makes you lose more magnesium through your kidneys and if it gets too low in the muscles it can cause cramps. It can also cause palpitations and I find mine is a lot better when I take some magnesium as well as eating foods rich in magnesium.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-foods-high-in-magnesium

• Posted

Hi joy53748

Are you taking pred because you have a skin infection? You cannot just stop pred after taking a high dose. You have to taper slowly by 1mg a month, then when you get to very low doses at 3-1mg take half mg. You have to allow your adrenals to return to normal after being suppressed for 4 years. If you just drop to a low dose suddenly you will get very ill and get the symptoms you have mentioned. Your doctor is right you should go back up to the dose your doctor prescribed 15mg and slowly taper, you will not experience so many side effects if you come off pred slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.