I have been taking 100mg of azathioprine for a little ov...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been taking 100mg of azathioprine for a little over a year now following a bad bout of ulcerative colitis, my consultant would like to keep me on it for at least another year. For the past few weeks I have constantly been feeling unwell. There are so many viruses going around at the moment and because I have three kids in school, I think that I am catching the viruses or bugs which are around. I don't ever remember having one infection or virus after another. Has anyone else, who takes azathioprine had the same problem?:

[i:2e8ffec2da]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2e8ffec2da]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello yes i suffer exactly the same problem, i get a cold and it lasts for well over a month each time now and i get them all the time from my toddler, i also notice i get a lot of sore throats and bladder infections however my dr always claims it has no relevance and i am just run down or unlucky... i have been on it for 14 months and it has kept my crohns at bay since i started it, just not sure which is worst? also planning another baby and been advised to stay on it? sorry to go on but releived i am not alone in this.smile

[i:7db257fdf7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7db257fdf7]

• Posted

Yes - I've been on 150mg of Aziothioprine and 10mg of Prednisolone for over 5 years now. I have regular chest infections - at one time I was getting an infection every 6 weeks. I had a TB colony growing also - about two years ago. This was resukting in frequent chest infections. Fortunately this wasn't a bad strain and has now cleared out. Chest infections are now less frequent and are treated with antibiotics and upping the steroid dosage.

My doctor tells me the cause is my severe asthma. The tablets lower my resistance but without them I'd be in a bad way.

[i:b6679ebb33]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b6679ebb33]

• Posted

I have been on 100mg Azathioprine now for 18 months or so now to treat Crohns (diagnosed by surgery in 2000). I have been lucky in that it does not seem to have affected my immune system in any way that I am aware of apart from being in the high risk group for having the flu jab .

I do have to have blood tests every three months to keep an eye on my blood count though. As long as that remains normal then I can continue taking the tablets.

My Crohns seems to be well controlled and if taking tablets, having blood tests and B12 injections help then so be it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.