I have been taking alendronic acid for over four years n...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking alendronic acid for over four years now with no obvious side effects. I was started by my doctor whilst taking Arimidex after breast cancer sugery as it can cause bone thinning. I had presented with pain in my joints which were becoming very severe. A bone scan revealed that I had osteopenia so was at risk of osteoporosis. The pain stopped very soon after starting what was then Fosamax and I have been pain free ever since. I am now aged 61 and look forward to an active old age.:lol:

[i:2ab9e5dee4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2ab9e5dee4]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am delighted to read your experience as it could be mine. I have only started Fosamax a month ago -not sure whether a couple of 'side effects' are real or between the ears after reading the bumf about it. I am encouraged by what you have to say

Thank you

• Posted

Hi MC, I was very interested to read that you have been happy with Alendronate. I started them two days ago and I am concerned that they are making my eyes feel weird. They seem to be affecting my vision. Have you had any problems with your eyes while you've been taking the medication?
  • Posted

I think there is a tendancy to see side effects where they don't exist, and I think you should phone the very friendly and helpful helpline at the Osteoporosis Society if you are worried.

I've been on Alendronic Acid for several months now, and for the past 6 weeks have had constant viruses, chest infections, coldsores etc etc., not been 100% fit for ages. However tempting it is to think this may be a side effect, I know it is just winter coming along. I am asthmatic and this time of year usually brings on infections etc. I've been to the doctor 3 times in the last 5 weeks, and did ask him to reassure me that it wasn't a side effect. He assured me it is not, but I may seek a second opinion if I don't improve soon!

• Posted

Dear Angels, My mother (89) is about to start on Alendronic Acid (by Apotex UK Ltd) having been changed from Actonel which is Risedronate Sodium, another of the bisphosphonates. She has had no problems with the latter. She may decide to forego the former as she is taking ADCAL with vit D and is on Oestrogen 50 patches.(having had a complete hysterectomy).And occasionally joins me in having a small teaspoon of Calcium Lactate powder on her cornflakes.

(Calcium Lactate is much more easily absorbed into the system than any of the other Calciums.) I've been taking Calcium Lactate since 1975 when tablets of the same were readily available on the vitamin shelf at Boots. The price rocketed and it eventually fell out of fashion. It is included in some prescribed calcium tablets.

However, I want to suggest to you that you ask your doctor for some NASONEX nasal spray. I was prescribed it for an inner ear infection, which worked, but I found to my delight that it has prevented colds and flu

for the past two years. I used to be knocked out by bugs for up to a month each time. You must huff up each nostril at the very first sign of glands, sore throat, etc for it to work. If you have been near someone who sneezed, supermarket, office etc huff when you get home, or carry it in your bag.

One is only supposed to use it once or twice, sparingly. I think it must work by somehow killing the bugs in your nose before they get a hold.

If I wake in the night and think Oh oh here we go again, I'll huff and take an Anadin Extra, go back to sleep and all's well when I get up. Of course I could have just been snoring! but I don't chance it. With your list of ailments I think it would be worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.