I have been taking Dihydrocodeine for some time now for ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been taking Dihydrocodeine for some time now for long term back pain. I have had serious problems with dependance due to doctors just telling me to take more tablets to control pain. I ended up taking 18 - 20 tablets per day.

Finally got with a decent doctor who was horified. He has spent the last 1.5 years slowly reducing the amounts I take and still keep the pain under control. I now take the modified release tablet, I still suffer a fair amount of pain, but am able to function.

This can be a very good pain killer, but great care needs to be taken when using it. Demand treatment from your doctor. Do not let them keep upping the level of your prescriptions.

[i:949ee53264]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:949ee53264]

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

do not take it it is too dangerous and very addictive

[i:9426100bcf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9426100bcf]

• Posted

I appreicate your comment, unfortunatley i think it is a bit late now. I need something to ease the pain and this does work for that. I can cope with the other side affects,but have to be constantly thinking about not taking more than I need. do you know of any other pain medication that do not have the addictive qualities?

[i:7247e587ba]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7247e587ba]

• Posted

I'm utterly shocked by the reports i have read on this page. I cannot understand how or why GPs are prescribing these amounts of painkillers. i also do not understand how you can function on this level of the drug. i have taken this drug for osteo arthritis for over 10 yrs. For the last 7 years at least my dose has stayed exactly the same. I try to manage on 6 30mg pills a day. There are some days where i take 8-10, but i am am in severe pain on those days and its most likely cos i have has to take them in the middle of the night so I can get some sleep. I know what its like trying to get on with your life with chronic pain, it is hard, sometimes very hard. But you owe it to yourself to find a way to cope with the pain and not become so completely reliant on drugs. There are various coping mechanisms you could try. One is - do not take more than one dose with you to work. you were only prescribed 2x30mg per 4-8 hours so this is not unreasonable. if you don't take it with you then you can't use more. Set yourself targets. i am always chuffed with myself when i manage a day with only 4. When you are sore, go lie down and have a cat nap, your body is exhausted with being sore so give it a break and recharge your batteries. Use heat and cold to help you, a hot bath or power shower can work wonders and take the edge off. know when you are doing to much and stop. i'm very guilty of pushing myself too much and just found out a 24k canoe ride was nothing short of reckless.... I have my right arm in a splint to remind me just how reckless...lol. I know some of you might not agree but GOOD sex gives the most amazing pain relief. Sometimes i just don't feel like it cos i'm too sore and tired but my partner always knows the right moves and the pain soon becomes a distant memory. i can get 3-4 hrs pain releif from good sex!! Honest!

Do your bloody excercises, the phsio gave you them for a reason.

I went through all the same feelings - why me stuff - that most of you are experiencing. I relied on the drugs too much. I abused them a bit taking more than I should. Yes i even went to the docs to ask for something stronger, surgery, anything... just to escape the constant pain. But its not the answer. Find a way of using the drug to its best effect, control it ...don't let it control you. I have no intention of giving up the drug. I allows me to hold down a full time job, do a college course at night and manage a lst of fairly pyhsical hobbies. I'm not wonder woman, I just found other ways of managing my pain in conjunction with the pills.

Please try to do the same. You will feel so much better about yourself and your life. The answer is not necessarily to come off of all painkellers and live your life in constant pain, that would not be a good way to live life, but to find the right balance.

Remember one thing, this is your only life, its not a dress rehersal. my mum always said one thing... 'your a long time dead'.. its a thought eh. make the most of the life you got, its not as good a some got but not as bad as others.

Hope my rambling helps someone.

debbie xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.