I have been taking dihydrocodiene for over two years now...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been taking dihydrocodiene for over two years now due to really bad back problems. Sadly I cant live without them now. Have tried to ween myself off them a few times and after just two days cold turkey I have experienced really bad headaches upset tummy and general feeling of illness - like I have gastric flu. Just after new year jan 2nd 06 I tired again to come off them and suffered flu like illness again and could'nt go out the house as the need for the toilet was so bad!

When I stop taking them the back pain is terrible and I realise why I'm taking them in the first place - to stop the pain! I have told my GP that some days I am taking upto 12 tablets and have admitted to him that I am addicted to them. I was also taking Ibrufen Retards 800mg twice daily and he suggested I cut them down and am now taking them every other day as they with the di - hy do deaden the pain.

I would suggest to others to think twice before taking these tablets as they are addictive. My kids know when I've taken my "Happy Pills" as they can see a change in my personality and say I am more relaxed and less stressed. It really is a vicious circle I am caught up in.

My GP has referred me to the Pain Clinic at Walton Hospital but I am still awaiting an appointment. I was told that I would wait 8 months to go on the waiting list. It appears they have a waiting list for the waiting list!! This was said to keep waiting numbers down so I am now waiting to go on the waiting list I hope there's no waiting list for people waiting to go on the waiting list to go on the waiting list --- this could go on for ever, but then I suppose it looks good when the hospital produces figures of how many are on the acutal waiting list!! Did you follow that ???if so let me know as I got lost after the second waiting list!!:lol::ok::ok::shock:

[i:aadb72e88b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:aadb72e88b]

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

At long last have moved up the list to be seen on april 18th at the pain clinic in walton hospital. Am now on 8-10 tablets per day but after i've been the clinic am hoping to report back to this site what they say. My main ambition is to get back to work hopefully that will happen in the next 6 months -- will keep the site posted but I have to get off these tablets!:headhurts:

[i:88fe2f209c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:88fe2f209c]

• Posted

hi i have been on them for 15 yrs and have weaned myself of them how i did it is cut one tablet in half im on 10 a day take the rest as normal for the week you get slightly elevated pain but it settles down and keep doing that untill you are on a lower dose it worked perfect for me i hope it helps you::cheers:

[i:449e9d8e70]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:449e9d8e70]

• Posted

Well I am finally on the Pain Management Programme at Walton Hospital.

What a difference it is making to my life. Have now got myself down to 4 dihy a day and no sleeping pills. They teach to to pace yourself, manage the pain and mainly re educate you to do something before the pain takes hold. After just one week I spent a lovely Monday with my 16year old daughter and not once did I loose my temper with her---a thing that has happened so many times over the past 10year. You do relacation tai chi gym work and I have to tell you I feel a different person. I was told today that dihy actually breaks down into morphine in the body which was omething I was unaware about so you learn something new evryday.

Hopefully I will be able to manage my pain now with only the minimum of 4 tabs a day but I told my hubby the other day the extent of the mumber of pills i was living to take each day -- I was actuall upto 16 30mg tabs a day which shoked him

anyway will keep you posted and think about sasking your gp about the pmp at Walton people from all over the country attend and stay in hotels for four weeks and feel the benefit of what they are gaining.:cheers::ok::magic:

[i:f4f00f948d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f4f00f948d]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.