I have been taking Lorazepam for several months,1mg a ni...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Lorazepam for several months,1mg a night, and when needing to get off these tablets havefound that even cutting down gadually is proving very difficult as the withdrawal symptoms are having a worying effect.I will keep at it but it shows that with me the dependancy is there even though i was taking this frequently to begin with then only 1mg per day.I have seen several doctors here in Thailand and originally 2 doctors said these would not lead to dependancy,the others have said otherwise by which time it was too late.Ther is never enough help here to advise on getting off this drug.I will say that when taking this it did help my anxiety and that if anyone is thinking of stopping then plenty of exercise is a great help.,and you also end up looking good if you cant get off them.

[i:c5e54eda95]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c5e54eda95]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hmmm, this is worrying. Just found your post now it is November 27. Wondering how you are and if you are getting off easily. Sayng that it took me 18 months to get off of my dose of lorazepam. I was on it for 27 years, yes you heard right. When prescribed n the late 1970's it was thought non-addictive - WRONG!!! I was ona dose of 1.5mg for those years, never upped it and never had any problems until a few yars ago when doctors made people come off of it. I did it, bu it was not pleasant at all, and I am off 19 months now. I did it with diazepam as this is long acting. My doctor supported me with the prescriptions but I would say to anyone do not take it unless it is bsolutely necessary. Good luck.

chris

• Posted

ive been on lorazepam for 6 years and it helped me greatly but my doctor has taken me off it and im going through hell.The main problem im having is increased anxiety.Does anyone know how long it will takefor the lorazepam to get out my system.Iwas only on 1mg a daybut i totally relied on it to make me feel better
  • Posted

Hi I have been on larazepam now for over 3 years.I thought i was pre menopausal,had the flue ,ear infections you name it ive had it this year. very depressed and weeping at nothing. havnt been sleeping and going sometimes 48 hours with about 2 hours sleep in between. i went to my docs and was prescribed a sleeping tablet last week to no avil i had illusinations and couldnt sleep. I was told to stop taking LORAZEPAM. I did this on the same night as the sleeping tablet. the next day could hardly walk and the pains in my body where escrutiating esp where i had an op on shoulder in jan of this year.pins and needles like shocks all over body whilst taking and not taking the LORAZ. wetting myself and loads more s

ymptoms after 3 days of hell had to get hubby to take me to the hospital.I saw the doc there and he told me i should not stop the lorezapam dead like i had done and that i had to be weened off them like a junky. I have been on half of 1mg for 3 days and still feel really ill as cannot see my doctor until wed. I will never ever go on these kind of drugs again once i am off them they are horrendous.Trying to be self willed but it is very difficult but i am determined to do it. :twisted:

• Posted

hi there

nice to see a fellow forum member from near grimsby.Im glad you have decided to take it step by step in regards to comin off the lorazepam its very dangerous to suddenly stop totally as i had the misfortune to find out.Its good that you areusing willpower coz it takes a hell of a lot and remember if at any time you feel you cant cope the crisis team at grimsby hospital are only a phone call away.Dont feel bad calling them coz thats what they are there for.They are a great team and do homevisits aswell.Just know you are never alone in this.

All the best!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.