I have been taking Sertraline for about 8 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started at 50mg for around 3 months. Was feeling okay but then my anxiety get worst. I was then put on 100mg which helped me more. I seem to get much worst when I’m due my period. Otherwise the rest of the time I’m actually doing quite well. My period is due this week and today I felt awful. Heart beating fast, tummy pains, shaking hands and feeling sweaty. I would feel like crying and wanting to feel sick. My lack of appetite gets so bad and I think negative and then can’t sleep or I close my eyes and can still be thinking with my brain doing over time. The GP advised to try and increase my dose to 125mg for the week my period is due to see if it helps. Today started off not good but I will say from about 11 am I started to feel better. Other than this time, I have felt much happier in recent months. Fingers crossed I continue to feel better. I hope you guys are doing well. God bless 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm the same I'm going through the menopause and not had a period for 11 months and just started again and my anxiety has got really bad again. Heart palpitations and it feels like my heart is jumping. I've been on sertraline since February 😢

• Posted

I'm sorry you are going through that Mandy sad

Have you thought about having your dose increased to balance it out?  My doctor says since hormone changes effect me so much that we will want to see what else we need to do when menopause rears her head around the corner.

• Posted

Yes I need to go and see my doctor. I was doing really well and then started my period again and it's hit me again 😓

• Posted

Hi Mandy. Sorry to hear that you’re also going through this. You will get there. We just need to find the right dose. I have learnt from following my diary that my anxiety is at its worst the first week my period is due. So I need to up my dose slightly. 

Stay positive and take it one day at a time. That’s what I’m doing. 

God bless x

• Posted

Who ever said being a woman was easy. Needs a slap! 

Take it one step at a time. When I increase my dose for that time of the month I don’t get any extra side affects. 

I hope it goes okay for you and you start to feel like you again. We are here if you need to talk. Nothing worst than thoughts of worry going around in your head. X

• Posted

The same goes with mine as well.  I get worse when I am PMSing,  and also when I am ovulating.  I keep a calendar so that I can at least have something to remind me that it is just my hormones acting up.  My doctor also increase my dose for that very reason.  It seemed to help a little,  but I would still feel a little anxious around that time.  Hope you and your doctor can find the right therapeutic dose for you. <3

• Posted

Hi Ashley. 

I use my diary as well. Only the last few months I learnt of the pattern of when my anxiety gets worst. I think it’s a good idea to use a prompt to remind ourselves. I will do this now. Thank you 😊. 

I am so worried for when menopause does come round eventually. But I will worry about finding the right dose first. 

I know what you mean. I feel a little better on the higher dose but my anxiety is also still there lingering. Just not quite as bad. Almost like I’m on that edge and if I lose my balance I will fall. That’s the only way I can describe it. 

I’m so grateful to have this site and you guys talking to me. It helps me and reminds me that there are others going through this and I’m not mad. 

God bless x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.