I have been taking synthroid for many years

Posted , 6 users are following.

and have become very sensitive to the med.  heart palpitations, insomnia, nervousness.  My blood work comes back lie or within normal range. When I stop the synthroid, the symptoms go away but the thyroid drops significantly low.  I have tried armour with same side affects.  Anyone else sensitive to thyroid Meds?  I went from 1 microgram to 50 to 35?  Works for a while then the overactive symptoms return.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow I truly understand what u are going through. I was having pain in my knees when I was on Synthroid and when I didn't take it the pain went away. My Dr took me off and started me on Armour I felt better mentally. Still feeling bad then my Dr up me from 120 to 180mcg and i started take it at bedtime  instead of in the morning. Also i started  magnesium. Take on a empty stomach by itself  becuz some food DO NOT let your body  absorb your meds

• Posted

I have underactive thyroid. I cannot take the tablets as I have a similar reaction to you caused by the fillers. I take the liquid thyroxine which has far less fillers and on the whole symptom free. 

• Posted

Beaubic are you here in the states? What is the med call becuz I see my Dr in a few weeks I wanted to try something with less fillers. Some Dr here in the states think you are crazy when u go and tell them how you feel and your labs are normal
    • Posted

No sorry, I live in the u.k. Doctors are not keen to prescribe liquid form as it is far more expensive. But only after a few days my symptoms started to subside and after 3 weeks felt virtually back to my old self. 
  • Posted

Yes I had a really bad reaction to Synthroid and I tried the other one looks so something and now I'm more sorry right I just started up this morning. There's several out there there's other ones that you can try Or try going to Alternative medical doctor and they can prescribe you a natural thyroid medication. Good luck to you

• Posted

Hello Sherry:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.   I have Hashimoto's thyroid  disease ice 1987.

Back in 1987  I was on Synthroid  also called  Levothyroxine in UK,  and took it for years and it did nothing for me.  My TSH and blood work were awful on it.

Many of us can't  convert T4 inT3 in our Thyroid gland.  Some other reasons it won't work food in the stomach blocks it, ferritin levels have to be good and above 70+ this is a component of Iron.  Some others reasons are severe side effects build up over time and for me it was loose bowels all day. You can lose to much and get dehyrated. Diabetes, and or other medical conditions in the body or Liver problems. Our bodies are all different, and what works on most may not work on you.  Been there as they say.

There are a lot of thyroid meds around some are:

Thyrolar (Liotrix ) a T3/T4 combo.  Armour Thyroid an NDT,  a natural thyroid  from a pigs gland and very close to ours.  Thyroid S made in Thailand and Nature's Thyroid and  ThyroGold and Ctyomel (Liothyronine) just T3.

I ended up on just T3 (Cytomel) as I can't convert T4 in my thyroid into T3 as it should do. Some of us have a damaged part of the thyroid gland.  Antacids can block meds also.

If you are in the USA ask your doctor to try you on Armour Thyroid which is covered by insurance plans in the USA.  If you are in UK you will not get this from NHS.  They do have Cytomel there now I am told.

Any questions jus ask,

Shelly

• Posted

I'm in the UK and I've been off lwvi for a week now and also feel so much better. I can't believe the Dr 's dont know levo does this to some of us. I'M waiting for ndt from Thailand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.